bsp-forum

Re: [bsp-forum] More on FPA

To: Barton Krauss <bartk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Deborah MacPherson <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>, "Building Service Performance (BSP) Forum" <bsp-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ibcomm@xxxxxxx" <ibcomm@xxxxxxx>, Alan Vinh <alan.vinh@xxxxxxxx>, Kimon Onuma <ko@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Deborah MacPherson <dmacpherson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 09:40:12 -0500
Hi Bart –

Thank you for sending. Forwarding on to collaborators at Building Service Performance, SF MapLab, NIST Building Fire Research Lab, and Onuma Planning System. We are having a conference call tomorrow.

Yes, can you please send the OSHA publication? Are you familiar with, or have you worked with the alert classifications in the attached “September 2007 Alert Categorization, Revision 1.0” written by Alan Vinh at the NIST Building Fire Research Laboratory, or recommendations of “Categorization of Federal Information and Information Systems [FIPS 199] csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-60-rev1/SP800-60_Vol1-Rev1.pdf?

An objective of the FloorplanDataExchange project is to get dynamic sensor alerts overlaid onto static building floorplans pre-approved by local fire departments. I am looking at classification and naming conventions. An example of typical building data is attached mapping between MasterFormat> UniFormat> OmniClass and various codes and standards. David Coggeshall at SFMapLab has made a demo of lightweight scalable vector graphic floorplans at http://www.maplab.org/harney1/.  An early objective is to work through a Building Emergency Response Scenario developed by NIST BRFL to get these two (simple databases and open SVG scalable vector graphics) to work together to show where information belongs for items such as
multiple roof types, numerous shutoffs, accesses, and protection/detection systems in one Common Operating Picture, used real time, collaboratively over Google Earth. We may be able to try some of this using Onuma Planning System BIMstorm technology to answer a few simple questions, then incorporate lessons learned to continue to improve and discuss. A longer term Phase 2 utilizes similar techniques to study sustainability issues.

I’ll spend some time looking at
National Fire Protection Assn (NFPA) Pre-Incident Planning Recommended Practice 1620 to figure out where connections might be to the National Building Information Modeling Standard and Open Geospatial Consortium recommendations. Its only $40 so I’ll just buy that to support NFPA. Also, would like to show some sample floorplans to a group of architects at WDG. Typically the contractor produces the final slab edge, penetration, and building systems coordination drawings. The architectural drawings do not have all of the information necessary and limited to only the items needed by the static floorplans. Our goal is also to only integrate the relevant parts of the BIM

Regards,

Deborah