[ontolog-forum] Letter of support for Protege renewal grant

To: Mark Musen <musen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ontolog Forum <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kurt Conrad <conrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 20:55:51 -0700
This message was prepared on behalf of the Ontolog Forum.    (01)

The Ontolog Forum is a international community of
practice that promotes the understanding and
application of ontological methods.  Its
activities involve hundreds of individuals with
widely varying backgrounds and domains of interest.    (02)

Ontolog has used Protégé in a number of its
internal projects.  Ontolog members have used
Protégé in many more.  We note that Protégé is
tremendously effective, not just in the medical
domain, but across an increasing variety of domains.    (03)

Protege has become an essential element in our
research infrastructure and is rapidly becoming
one in business as well. We have already observed
the role that Protégé has in expanding the pool
of available ontology resources.  Several
doctoral candidates, for example, had
dissertations that were basically leveraged by
Protégé's ability to represent their key topics.    (04)

By enabling individuals and organizations to
develop ontolgoical expertise, Protégé is proving
instrumental in accelerating the adoption of
ontology-based approaches to automated
systems.  By speeding the day when ontologies
will be considered an essential component of
main-stream computing architectures, Protégé can
be expected to contribute, significantly, to
orders-of-magnitude improvements to the cost and
quality of services in a wide variety of domains, including health care..    (05)

If Protégé and its staff were to go away, there
would be great difficulties in making forward
progress in many, many domains."    (06)

Thank you for your consideration.  We look
forward to your continuing support of the Protégé initiative.    (07)

For the Ontolog Forum,
Kurt Conrad and Bob Smith    (08)

/s/ kwc 2006.04.29 20:55    (09)

Kurt Conrad