OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Fri 2010-10-15    (2J15)

We will be discussing the (post-BioPortal fork) OOR Architecture and the adoption of an API. ... See detailed agenda below. Please refer also to the notes from the last regular meeting at: OOR/ConferenceCall 2010_10_01 and the two recent panel sessions:    (2J27)

... note, in particular, the start time of this meeting is three hours earlier than before (9:00am, rather than 12:00noon EDT)    (2IA2)

Archives:    (2J3M)

Conference Call Details:    (2J16)

Attendees    (2J1T)

Resources:    (2J2E)

Agenda Ideas:    (2J21)

please insert any additional items below (along with your name for follow-up purposes)    (2J22)

Agenda & Proceedings    (2J25)

1. PeterYim takes the chair and welcomes everyone.    (2J46)

2. Roll call and review of agenda    (2J47)

3. Discussion:    (2J48)

Pertinent Questions We Will be Asking:    (2J2T)

4. Review of Immediate next steps and action items.    (2J30)

5. Any other business    (2J31)

6. Discussion on future regular meeting time    (2J3E)

7. Adjourn    (2J49)

Transcript of the online chat during the session:    (2J4G)

 see raw transcript here in the mean time.    (2J4H)
 (for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)
 Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.    (2J4V)
     -- begin of chat session --    (2J4I)
	PeterYim: .    (2J74)
	Welcome to the OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Team Conference Call - Fri 2010-10-15    (2J75)
	.    (2J76)
	PeterYim: session page is at:    (2J77)
	PeterYim: .    (2J78)
	anonymous morphed into JouniTuominen    (2J79)
	KenBaclawski: Here is the architecture diagram we propose (as presented on 17-Sep-2010):    (2J7A)
	KenBaclawski: This is the current OOR API (in Java) based on BioPortal:    (2J7C)
	PeterYim: all new contributions to the OOR software (except for existing non-BSD contributions that 
	will, hopefully, be migrated over), as well as content (i.e. ontologies) uploaded to the public 
	instance of the production OOR, operated by the OOR-team, will be made under the "Simplified 
	(2-clause) BSD License" - see:    (2J7D)
	PeterYim: Let's step through the questions we need to address at this session (below)    (2J7E)
	PeterYim: == Key requirements of the new OOR architecture? ==    (2J7F)
	MichaelGruninger: support for multiple ontology specification languages    (2J7G)
	PeterYim: I think it must accommodate both the existing codebase (BioPortal) and new contributions    (2J7H)
	KenBaclawski: The use cases are certainly important. The posted architecture is based on the use 
	cases.    (2J7I)
	MichaelGruninger: services of the OOR should be independent of the ontology specification language    (2J7J)
	TillMossakowski: It should be flexible enough in order to easily integrate new formats and services    (2J7K)
	PeterYim: as per OntologySummit2008_Communique ... we want to be on a Service Oriented Architecture    (2J7L)
	MichaelGruninger: support for ontology metdata    (2J7M)
	PeterYim: metadata should be an extension of OMV too    (2J7N)
	PeterYim: robustness, scalability, etc. for the repository is definitely important    (2J7O)
	YuriyMilov: Java based ... I agree to discuss the Java implementation later (as a recommendation, 
	when we come to the choice of platform discussion (as PeterYim suggests)    (2J7P)
	PeterYim: == Who are the immediate software contributors that we will need to accommodate? ==    (2J7Q)
	PeterYim: NCBO / BioPortal    (2J7R)
	KenBaclawski: My team at Northeastern University (NEU)    (2J7S)
	MichaelGruninger: CameronRoss is leading the architectural design of COLORE    (2J7T)
	TillMossakowski: at Bremen, we have a BioPortal clone and the Hets system    (2J7U)
	TillMossakowski: the BioPortal clone is at (which is 
	AlexGarcia has been working on)    (2J7V)
	TillMossakowski: We might want to use (but we have close contact to them)    (2J7W)
	MikeDean: contributions from Raytheon-BBN    (2J7X)
	PeterYim: NeOn project? .... (of course, OMV is from the NeOn project, and that is definitely in)    (2J7Y)
	PeterYim: ref. NeOn involvement I will continue the conversations with AldoGangemi, MathieuDaquin, 
	AndreasHarth and EnricoMotta to solicit their involvement    (2J7Z)
	JouniTuominen: ONKI ontology service, project page    (2J80)
	BartGajderowicz: My contribution would be library development    (2J81)
	BartGajderowicz: so code part    (2J82)
	BartGajderowicz: As part of my thesis, I have been working on ontology matching, and have developed 
	an application, which I would like to contribute to the OOR architecture    (2J83)
	PeterYim: == Enumerating our options and candidate architectural approaches ==    (2J84)
	TillMossakowski: slide no. 7 of Immanuel's presentation    (2J85)
	YuriyMilov: Is Google's AppEngine an appropriate platform? I'd like to add some stuff from there    (2J86)
	TillMossakowski: I think a good thing is define a RESTful interface of services. We have implemented 
	one for Hets, see . I am not 
	meaning to use this one, but just want to give an idea of what a RESTful interface is.    (2J87)
	PeterYim: ref. BioPortal high level architecture -    (2J88)
	KenBaclawski: I have posted an architecture which is based on the use cases, but I am open to 
	suggestions especially concerning how to accommodate multiple specification languages for 
	ontologies.    (2J89)
	JouniTuominen: +1 for RESTful interface. We have developed LOOS API (Linked Open Ontology Services, 
	in spirit of LOD) for ONKI, see . Actually the intefrace it's not that 
	RESTful, more like a method-based HTTP API    (2J8A)
	KenBaclawski: @Till - Concerning the slide in Immanuel's presentation, this is not an SOA 
	architecture diagram. In fact the entire diagram is just two diagrams: the GUI and the core 
	services.    (2J8B)
	KenBaclawski: @Till - I have the experience of developing web services for a military contract, and 
	SOAP/WSDL was much easier to develop than REST.    (2J8C)
	TillMossakowski: We have a bit of experience with SOAP, but have not implemented one project with 
	both REST and SOAP.    (2J8D)
	KenBaclawski: The current trend in SOA is for REST and SOAP to converge, so the distinction may 
	disappear.    (2J8E)
	TillMossakowski: Can WSDL be used together with either of them?    (2J8F)
	KenBaclawski: Yes, it is possible for a single service to support both SOAP and REST at the same 
	time.    (2J8G)
	KenBaclawski: In my previous post about Immanual's presentation, I mean the diagram is two 
	components, not two diagrams.    (2J8H)
	MichaelGruninger: Architecture for COLORE can be found in slide 5 in the presentation at    (2J8I)
	YuriyMilov:    (2J8J)
	YuriyMilov: SOCCA supports easy application migration from one cloud to another and service 
	redeployment to different clouds by separating the roles of service logic provider and service 
	hosting/cloud providers. It promotes an open platform on which open standards, ontology are 
	embraced.    (2J8K)
	PeterYim: == decision: let's delegate the workout of architectural details to a committee ==    (2J8L)
	PeterYim: the committee is to run with an open transparent process, and will keep all of us in synch    (2J8M)
	PeterYim: committee meetings to be announced so others can join as observers    (2J8N)
	PeterYim: only code contributors will participate in making the final decisions ... other 
	architectural suggestions will only be provided as references to the committee    (2J8O)
	PeterYim: the precepts agreed earlier as "Key requirements of the new OOR architecture" will drive 
	the committee's work and decisions    (2J8P)
	PeterYim: on the committee: rep from NCBO, NEU, UToronto, Bremen, Raytheon-BBN, NeOn ... (to be 
	decided) ONKI, YuriyMilov, ... (BartGajderowicz agreed that he will just observe and work with what 
	comes out of the committee)    (2J8Q)
	PeterYim: Architecture Committee will work up a architecture first ... and then develop the API    (2J8R)
	PeterYim: each party in the committee to nominate their committee member ... Peter to contact those 
	who are not here today    (2J8S)
	PeterYim: we will defer discussion on development platform    (2J8T)
	PeterYim: we will continue to discuss regular meeting times on the [oor-forum] list ... please 
	provide input into the doodle poll if you haven't already - goto:    (2J8U)
	PeterYim: as discussed previously, this is almost about time we start this - have alternate Friday 
	OOR team meetings - one for OOR high level issues, content, admin etc., and the other for deep-water 
	technical meetings.    (2J8V)
	PeterYim: ALL: agreed ... we can possibly even have alternate (Friday) start-times for each of these 
	meeting sets    (2J8W)
	PeterYim: thanks everyone ... very productive meeting indeed!    (2J8X)
	PeterYim: -- session ended 8:10am PDT --    (2J8Y)
	PeterYim: The unedited chat-transcript is now online ... I will be posting the audio archive and a 
	lightly edited (and re-organized) version of the chat transcript (for clarity and better 
	intelligibility) later.    (2J8Z)
     -- end of chat session --    (2J4J)

Audio Recording of this Session    (2J4M)

Proposed Architectural Approaches:    (2J4Y)    (2J50)    (2J55)    (2J56)    (2J57)    (2J58)