RE: [uos-convene] Other Approaches Too.

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Uschold, Michael F" <michael.f.uschold@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 09:02:31 -0800
> MW: Lets not get hung up on terms. They can mean what we define them
to mean.    (01)

Strictly speaking, this is true. You can define an elephant to be a
giraffe, and be logically correct, but it will be virtually impossible
to expect the reader to do the mental gymnastics required to keep
translating the familiar term to a new meaning to understand what is
going on.      (02)

The value of getting good terms is effective communication. Most terms
will be problematic to some extent, due to multiple meanings from
different communities. Wherever possible, we should use terms aligned
with their most common meaning, thus reducing misunderstandings.    (03)

Mike    (04)