uos-convene
[Top] [All Lists]

RE: [uos-convene] Here we go again

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:40:08 -0000
Message-id: <A94B3B171A49A4448F0CEEB458AA661F02FC9D46@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Dear Barry,

See below.

Matthew
-----Original Message-----
From: uos-convene-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:uos-convene-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Smith, Barry
Sent: 27 February 2006 13:34
To: Upper Ontology Summit convention
Subject: RE: [uos-convene] Here we go again

I have been round in these circles with Matthew several times before.

1. I think an ontology which does not distinguish between processes and their bearers  

MW: But we do. We have physical objects and activities (amongst other things). But our physical objects are 4D not 3D.

will at least have this defect: that people not familiar with high-level metaphysics and/or with the computational advantages which 4D-ism brings will not understand it, and therefore either not use it or use it badly (I can supply examples of the latter if required) 

MW: Well I'm glad that you acknowledge the computational advantages that the 4D approach has.

MW: I also agree that much of the philosophical literature on 4 Dimensionalism is couched in language that would not appeal to many in business - but presumably you do not beleive that words like continuant and occurrent are in everyday use either. I have been aware of this for some time - I certainly have no chance of getting something adopted in Shell if it is not clear and digestable. So I was particularly pleased that my presentation to ONTAG the other day on 4 dimensionalism and ISO 15926 received specific comments about the clarity with which the ideas were presented. So I think this is perhaps a barrier that we are now able to put behind us.

MW: By the way, there are not so many people who understand 3Dism either, and/or use it badly. The examples are also plentiful. 

2. As Matthew knows full well, I, like many others, believe that both continuants and occurrents exist; and that one can adopt a position which both a 4D and a 3D component. Someone like Matthew can thus embrace just the former, and leave the rest of us to embrace both.  

MW: I think we have explored this option, and it doesn't seem to me to work. Either I or you seem to be innevitably confonted with something that is unpalatable, and I have no desire to either accept this for myself or force it on others. I also think that trying to combine them will just cause confusion.

MW: So let me propose a new approach:

1. A 4D ontology (just the core bits that make it 4D).

2. A 3D ontology (just the core bits that make it 3D - in this context I like what you propose)

3. A mapping between the two.

4. A number of upper domain ontologies that can be added to either a 3D or 4D core. (Taxonomies are likely to be easiest to do this for).

BS

At 08:07 AM 2/27/2006, you wrote:
Dear Barry,

See below.

Regards

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
-----Original Message-----
From: uos-convene-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [ mailto:uos-convene-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Smith, Barry
Sent: 27 February 2006 00:45
To: Upper Ontology Summit convention
Subject: [uos-convene] Beginnings of a draft Upper Level Ontology

Here is a proposal with regard to a highest common factor ULO.

Most General Term for Everything Which Exists: Entity

MW: So far so good :-)

An ontology is a representation of types of entities; all types have instances.

MW: We go wrong immediately for commonality with 4D.

Top-level Dichotomy

continuant (an entity which endures as one and the same through time
while undergoing changes, e.g. organisms, plans, color-qualities)

occurrent (an entity which unfold through time in successive phases,
what are also often called 'processes')

MW: I can see this working for a common 3D ontology, but of course does not work with 4D since these sorts of things are not mutually exclussive in 4D. If you want to pursue this route, then I'm inclined to suggest trying to work on a common upper 3D ontology, and then map between that and a common 4D upper ontology. I think a common 3D upper ontology would be useful in its own right.

MW: However, I also think that this would illustrate what would not be shared between a 3D and 4D ontology, since they are different theories at a very high level. I also think lower level theories of what exists, like biological taxonomies, could be shared, provided they are independent of a particular upper ontology.

Second-Level Dichotomy

dependent entity (an entity which has one or more bearers or carriers on which
it depends, all occurrent entities are dependent, since they are all processes or changes in one or more
bearer or participant)

MW: As a principle I can agree with this...

independent entity (entities which do not require bearers; objects, things).

Dependent Continuant Entity can then be divided into:

quality
role
function
shape
plan
etc.

MW: But I would not recognise these as having this pattern in 4D.

Many dependent continuant entities are realizable in processes of corresponding sorts; for example functions in functionings, programs and plans in executions, etc.

BS
<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>