RE: [uos-convene] Here we go again

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:40:08 -0000
Dear Barry,

See below.

Matthew
-----Original Message-----
From: uos-convene-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:uos-convene-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Smith, Barry
Sent: 27 February 2006 13:34
To: Upper Ontology Summit convention
Subject: RE: [uos-convene] Here we go again

I have been round in these circles with Matthew several times before.

1. I think an ontology which does not distinguish between processes and their bearers

MW: But we do. We have physical objects and activities (amongst other things). But our physical objects are 4D not 3D.

 will at least have this defect: that people not familiar with high-level metaphysics and/or with the computational advantages which 4D-ism brings will not understand it, and therefore either not use it or use it badly (I can supply examples of the latter if required)

MW: Well I'm glad that you acknowledge the computational advantages that the 4D approach has.

MW: I also agree that much of the philosophical literature on 4 Dimensionalism is couched in language that would not appeal to many in business - but presumably you do not beleive that words like continuant and occurrent are in everyday use either. I have been aware of this for some time - I certainly have no chance of getting something adopted in Shell if it is not clear and digestable. So I was particularly pleased that my presentation to ONTAG the other day on 4 dimensionalism and ISO 15926 received specific comments about the clarity with which the ideas were presented. So I think this is perhaps a barrier that we are now able to put behind us.

MW: By the way, there are not so many people who understand 3Dism either, and/or use it badly. The examples are also plentiful.

2. As Matthew knows full well, I, like many others, believe that both continuants and occurrents exist; and that one can adopt a position which both a 4D and a 3D component. Someone like Matthew can thus embrace just the former, and leave the rest of us to embrace both.

MW: I think we have explored this option, and it doesn't seem to me to work. Either I or you seem to be innevitably confonted with something that is unpalatable, and I have no desire to either accept this for myself or force it on others. I also think that trying to combine them will just cause confusion.

MW: So let me propose a new approach:

1. A 4D ontology (just the core bits that make it 4D).

2. A 3D ontology (just the core bits that make it 3D - in this context I like what you propose)

3. A mapping between the two.

4. A number of upper domain ontologies that can be added to either a 3D or 4D core. (Taxonomies are likely to be easiest to do this for).

BS