Re: [uom-ontology-std] Mass and function

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 11:25:34 -0700
I slightly disagree from an ontological perspective.  I prefer to keep the ontology work in the abstract domain, not the instance domain.  1.3 kg. is an instance (or example) of a weight value, not a candidate for an ontological class.  It is comprised of values for 4 distinct concepts – a value amount 1.3), a qualifier amount (kg.) a concept (Mass) and a units of precision (100 grams).  Mass itself is not so simple since it is related to gravity, which in turn has some rather complex mathematical formulae to describe it.  It would be more accurate to state that the concept is not “mass” but “mass based on a terrestrial context of the surface of the planet earth”.  The same 1.3 kg can have far more energy is traveling at 18,000 KPH.

Duane