Re: [uom-ontology-std] Pragmatic Nominalist - Trope to Tropism

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:37:11 -0700
Joe:

I bear a lot of responsibility for this.  The original posts that lead to this tell some of the story:

http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontology-summit/2009-05/msg00007.html

“This might be a great place to perform some ontology work which would demonstrate a huge benefit to society.  The WCO has major issues mapping to and  from various languages for UoM.  For example, in Japan, you use a completely different counting system for anything that is flat.  Even thinks in North America have vastly different units of measure.  Mapping each of these ontology concepts to terms in various languages would be a huge issue.  Think about these units of measure:

A dozen eggs
A “loaf” of bread, but also has weight
Apples are not sold each in most places but by aggregate weight
Liquids are sold by volume
Long things are often sold in lengths
Flat things are often sold in square feet or meters
Firewood is sold by volume (chords), processed timber is sold by units, square feet, length and other measures.  They all come from trees.
...”

Here is a use case.  I am in Canada, I import cosmetic brushes from Korea.  When I fill out the customs form here for a shipment of 5,000 brushes, I have to declare them in “dozens”.  There are many different concepts that the WCO uses including:

Count – the actual value domain for quantity
UnitsOfMeasure – the units that qualify the Count
Precision – the precision value for the Count.

In the case of the brushes, the precision is to the 1/4 (25% of 12 means that I can be within 3 brushes of my stated objective).  I therefore indicate on the customs form that I am importing 416 and one half dozen brushes (even though the precise value is 416.66666666~ dozen).

At the other side, the Korean shipping company fills out export documents using a different system for quantifying the number of brushes.  They count by individual units, in boxes of 100.  Their form shows Count: 50, Units of Measure: Box 100, precision: each.

The discrepancies vary from country to country and by products etc, however the high level concepts such as length, mass, count, volume etc are primitives used by each system.  Establishing an ontology of UoM that each system could map to could allow easier translations between domain specific values for quantity, hence improving the ability for trade facilitation.

I hope this helps.

Duane