Re: [uom-ontology-std] A measure (or magnitude) is not a quantity

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 02:25:11 -0400
Pat,    (01)

I don't want to get into an argument about philosophy, but I would
like to point out that this kind of argument arises in any analysis
of an informal statement during the process of formalization.    (02)

PH> Hajo, seems to me that this is a good illustration of why
 > ontology needs to avoid philosophy  :-)  Its almost impossible
 > to make a philosophical assertion that isn't controversial.    (03)

HR> However, a quantity is a metrological aspect of a phenomenon,
 > such as "the mass of my table" ("mass" is a metrological aspect    (04)

PH> Whoa. Mass is an 'aspect'? Surely not. Mass is, after all,
 > one of the fundamental physical quantities.... And in any case,
 > why do you consider it to be 'metrological'? (Or does this
 > simply mean, capable of being measured?)    (05)

This kind of discussion arises in any subject that has not yet been
sufficiently analyzed and codified in a systematic terminology.    (06)

Socrates didn't create the confusion, but he had a methodology
for dealing with it:  sit down, analyze the subject, and define
the terms.  Alternatively, look at a good reference manual that
records the results of experts in the field who have made the
effort to define their terms.    (07)