Re: [uom-ontology-std] retitled: Units of an angle

To: sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "ingvar_johansson" <ingvar.johansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 20:34:53 +0200 (CEST)
John Sowa wrote:    (01)

> Pat C and Ingvar,
>
> I also agree with what Pat said:
>
> PC> I would suggest that we promiscuously include all
>> quantifiable "units" that carry meaning in any application,
>> and not take as "dimensionless" any measures that are in fact
>> distinguishable in their intended meaning.  A weight ratio
>> does *not* have the same dimension as an angle, though one
>> can oversimplify either to some dimensionless number.
>
> I'd like to clarify some points that I made in earlier notes:
>
>  1. I make a sharp distinction between the words used by the
>     practitioners in any field and the metalevel terms used
>     to talk about those words.
>
>  2. I believe that words that have a long established usage
>     in any subject (like 'unit' and 'dimension' for UoM) serve
>     an important purpose, and they should be recognized and
>     represented in an ontology.    (02)

Let me then clarify one point, too. I have been claiming and arguing that
"amount of substance", "dimensionless entities", and "entities of
dimension one" do not serve - despite long established usage - any
important metrological function; rather the contrary. And that, therefore,
they ought to be taken away from the SI system and VIM. What consequences
this view may have for various kinds of computer ontologies I am not able
to tell. It just seemed to me that it ought to have some consequences for
at least some measurement unit ontologies. That's the reason I entered the
discussion.    (03)

Ingvar J    (04)