Re: [uom-ontology-std] Mapping, families, and getting torqued

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Joel Bender <jjb5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 16:26:02 -0400
I wrote:    (01)

> So in our ontology there needs to be a way to say that "these units
> belong to the same family" (inches, feet, meters, ...) or (radians,
> angular degrees, ...) and "these do not" (energy, torque).  I don't
> think calling them dimensions is going to work because the term is so
> heavily overloaded.    (02)

Joe Collins wrote:    (03)

 > To be consistent with SI nomenclature, I urge you to use the concept
 > of "kind".    (04)

and then later quoted the ISO standard:    (05)

 > Quantities of the same kind within a given system of quantities
 > have the same quantity dimension. However, quantities of the same
 > dimension are not necessarily of the same kind.    (06)

So replace the word 'family' with 'kind', and to be more consistent with
that document, replace what I called a 'decorated value' with 'quantity'.    (07)

     A quantity is thing that is a value from the set of non-negative
     real numbers bound together with a unit.    (08)

And then:    (09)

     Two quantities are the same kind if there is exists a bijective
     function that allows quantities in one unit to be mapped into
     quantities in the other.    (010)

And apparently this statement appears in multiple standards:    (011)

 > The division of the concept ‘quantity’ into several kinds is to some
 > extent arbitrary.    (012)

But I think we can reach a consensus around a list that is a little more
succinct than the examples listed, and still provide some flexibility
where 'torque' is not 'energy'.    (013)

Joel    (014)