uom-ontology-admin

Re: [uom-ontology-admin] Some questions from PatrickDurusau (UNCLASSIFIE

To: <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "uom-ontology-admin" <uom-ontology-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Smith, Gerald L CIV DISA GES-E" <Jerry.Smith@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 10:07:18 -0500
Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE    (01)

Thanks Steve.     (02)

-----Original Message-----
From: uom-ontology-admin-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:uom-ontology-admin-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve Ray
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 9:53 AM
To: 'uom-ontology-admin'
Subject: Re: [uom-ontology-admin] Some questions from PatrickDurusau
(UNCLASSIFIED)    (03)

Jerry,
        I'd say that the short answer to Patrick's question is yes, we plan
to express the existing measurement system(s) as an ontology, written in
CLIF, with derived representations in OWL and UML. This will be done with
careful liaison with the existing organizations responsible for our system
of units and measures. Ultimately, it will involve harmonizing the official
S.I. definitions of units and measures (expressed in prose) with a number of
existing ontologies that tackle the same domain.
        And yes, PSL is a good example of a normative standard written in
Common Logic for, as you say, a different purpose. While at NIST, I
initiated that project, Craig Schlenoff managed it, and all the heavy
lifting was done by Michael Gruninger who was at NIST at the time (now at
Univ. of Toronto).    (04)

- Steve    (05)

Steven R. Ray, Ph.D.
Email: steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx