oor-users

Re: [oor-users] Fwd: new ontology stuck(?) behind parse queue

To: OOR Users discussion <oor-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Paul R Alexander <palexander@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:25:44 -0800
Sorry, forgot to mention that anyone with an admin account can manually flush the cache at this url:
http://oor-01.cim3.net/admin

Paul R Alexander
Web / UI Developer
NCBO BioPortal

On 12/10/10 3:24 PM, Paul R Alexander wrote:
(a) Parsing is done serially on a per-load scheduler run. The load scheduler checks for new, unparsed ontologies whenever it is run (we run it every hour, I'm not sure how OOR is configured). Nothing should ever get stuck.

It looks like maybe the server was rebooted in the middle of a load scheduler run or something, which then caused these 02/12/2010 ontologies to remain in "parsing" status. This status would mean that they were never processed again. You may be able to use the admin tool to trigger a re-parse or go into the ncbo_ontology_load_queue table in the database and manually set the status column to 1 for these ontologies.

(b) If it's a large ontology (500,000+ terms) it could take 6-8 hours to process, but anything up to 100,000 terms should process in under an hour, usually much faster. Again, nothing should ever be in "parsing" status for too long, it should error out at some point and get the "error" status set.

(c) I would give up after 24 hours or less depending on the ontology size.

Finally, please keep in mind that the UI does aggressive caching. We don't expect the system to respond in real-time to many events and as such will often cache results for 4-8 hours. For example, the ontology uploaded today has actually finished parsing, it's just that the UI hasn't refreshed the information.
http://oor-01.cim3.net:8080/bioportal/ontologies/10187 shows statusId 3 ("ready")
http://oor-01.cim3.net/visualize/10187

Cache timeouts can be modified in this file on the UI:
/app/models/data_access.rb

Paul R Alexander
Web / UI Developer
NCBO BioPortal