oor-nsf07601

Re: [oor-nsf07601] Draft project description

To: oor-nsf07601 <oor-nsf07601@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Michael Bordenaro (Mike)" <MBordenaro@xxxxxx>
From: "Michelle Raymond" <michellearaymond@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 20:37:52 -0600

[ *** This list is for use by the OOR nsf-07061 team only - please do not share
or forward message without consent from the team! *** ]    (01)

"[ *** This list is for use by the OOR nsf-07061 team only - please
do not share or forward message without consent from the team! *** ]"    (02)

Oops,  I've shared this and mods of the Project Summary with
Michael Bodenaro, who has been introduced to Ken and to Peter,
but not consented to by the team for participation.    (03)

Please forgive.
I now request consent.    (04)

Below is a copy of the introduction of Mike to Ken.  I realize now
that I did not copy the message to the full list.  My fault.    (05)

Best regards,    (06)

Michelle Raymond    (07)

Ken,    (08)

I'd like to introduce you to Michael Bordenaro, Co-Founder of the BIM
Education Co-op.    (09)

Micheal is dedicated to using his education and experience to help
people build a better world through collaboration.  His knowledge of
the complexity in data-rich domains, marketing and publishing lead to
forming an education co-operative. The co-op provides technology
education products and services to meet the growing need for BIM
education to a variety of audiences.    (010)

The BIM Education Co-op™ has achieved award-winning success by
combining the experience of building industry experts with editorial
and education experts who focus on the building industry.
Ken, you wrote that "making the vision [of an open ontology
repository] a reality requires additional supporting resources."  Two
critical resources needed to ensure adoption and sustainment are: 1)
ongoing multi-community cooperation and collaboration and 2) ongoing
educational outreach.  I see Michael as well positioned to establish a
comprehensive outreach program that facilitates collaboration and
provides critical educational programs.    (011)

Additionally, Michael brings connections to sources of
built-environment data and metadata.    (012)

Note: I would like to suggest an addition (shown in square brackets)
to the following line in the Executive Summary.
   "We propose to develop an open ontology repository (OOR) of
controlled vocabularies and knowledge models that have been encoded in
RDF, OWL, [Industry Foundation Classes] and other knowledge
representation languages."  (see background information item I for a
paper describing IFC as knowledge representation within the Semantic
Web)    (013)

Finally, I think we should blatantly extort Michael's skills as an
editor for review and polish of the initial proposal.    (014)

OK, that last part goes beyond a proper introduction, so I turn it
over to the two of you to connect further, determine fit for this
proposal and potentially agreeable roles.  Here is Mike's contact
data:    (015)

    Michael Bordenaro
    Co-Founder
    BIM Education Co-op™
    Chicago, Illinois
    (773) 252 5888
    www.BIMeducation.com    (016)

Note:  I have not shared your full Executive Summary write-up with
Michael.  The information shared with Michael and his responses are
noted below (see background information item II).    (017)

Best regards,    (018)

Michelle    (019)

P.S. I'll send my comments on the Executive Summary in a subsequent message.    (020)

Background information:
   I) Extract from abstract (just down-loaded the paper, not yet read)
which touches on the Industry Foundation Classes use in BIM as a
Knowledge Representation.
   II) Forwarded clips of email between Mike and myself regarding
proposal participation.
      A) Mike's initial interest
      B) Michelle's follow-up with a copy of her early and incomplete
view on the proposal
      C) Mike's response with expression of intense interest in participation    (021)

I) Jakob Beetz, Jos van Leeuwen, and Bauke de Vries, "TOWARDS A
TOPOLOGICAL REASONING SERVICE FOR IFC-BASED BUILDING INFORMATION
MODELS IN A SEMANTIC WEB CONTEXT", Joint International Conference on
Computing and Decision Making in Civil and Building Engineering, June
14-16, 2006 - Montréal, Canada.    (022)

"ABSTRACT
One of the classic problems identified in the interdisciplinary use of
Building Information
Models (BIM) is the different representation requirements regarding
topology (Eastman
1999). Although this problem has been addressed in several modeling
efforts (Augenbroe
1995) the most widely spread BIM to date (IFC) does not bridge one of
the essential gaps,
namely that between geometry-centered (used by most generic CA(A)D
applications) versus
topological space-centered models (used by energy performance tools).    (023)

Based on a previously developed Description Logic representation of
the IFC model
notated in OWL (Beetz, de Vries, van Leeuwen 2005), we describe the
ongoing development
of an online reasoning service to demonstrate the practical use of the
Semantic Web tool
chain...    (024)

KEY WORDS
Building information modeling, semantic web, knowledge engineering,
agent systems,
interoperability."    (025)

II) Forwarded conversations    (026)

A) Mike's initial interest