Re: [oor-forum] OOR UI issues

To: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 21:13:08 +0000
Ken, some comments below.    (01)

Thanks,
Leo    (02)

-----Original Message-----
From: oor-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oor-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of kenb
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 10:30 PM
To: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion
Subject: [oor-forum] OOR UI issues    (03)

During the most recent OOR Architecture & API Workshop, questions were
raised concerning what UI is most appropriate for the OOR requirements. We
are soliciting comments and suggestions about this issue from the OOR
community, especially from individuals who have UI development and testing
experience.    (04)

Here is a brief summary of some of the issues that were raised:    (05)

The top of every page of an OOR website consists of a row of links (tabs).    (06)

1. Is this the most appropriate UI?    (07)

[Leo: ] I guess we have this GUI primarily because of the BioPortal
antecedents? And of course Protégé.
Tabs in Protégé always were a kind of signal to me that behind the tab was a
potentially independently developed plugin. Is that still roughly the same? It
also therefore meant that you could configure your GUI by either downloading
plugins at or after installation and then making them active, inactive.    (08)

[Leo:] Is this the anticipated semantics for the OOR plugins? If not (or even
if), then we might keep this because of background shared user knowledge.
Otherwise, a menu-like list of sub-descriptions and actions (like under the
more generic browsers, e.g., Firefox) might be useful. My thought is if the
tab-space gets crowded over time, indeed you can have banks of tabs, but if
each tab had distinct services or views, you might want a drop-down menu so you
could select a more specific service or view under the particular tab.     (09)

2. Should every page have the same set of tabs?
[Leo: ] Maybe not, except for some core tabs.
3. If tabs can vary, should there be a core set of tabs followed by the
varying tabs?
[Leo: ] I would say "yes", so that people know what the core set is. They will
learn this via interaction over time, but for new users, the readily identified
distinction could be useful.
4. What tabs should be in the core?
[Leo: ] I'm not sure, but one question:  I assume "Browse" is to see the
ontologies. Is there a way to see the services that people have provided?  I
understand that basically we are using BioPortal as much as possible, i.e,
http://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php/NCBO_REST_services. Are we wedded to
that?
5. Should the tabs vary depending on the role, page and OOR instance?
[Leo: ] Probably the tabs will vary based on role and also by OOR instance (if
the instance e.g., uses extensions). By page? I'm not sure. I would consider a
functional notion like role, etc., as a rationale for the variation at a page,
i.e., what kind of page?    (010)

-- Ken    (011)