Re: [oor-forum] OOR Architecture & API - take-2 panel discussion - Fri 2

To: Kim Viljanen <kim.viljanen@xxxxxx>, OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 10:25:10 -0700
Hello Kim,    (01)

Great questions ... thanks for bringing them up.  My take below (but I
have as much say as anyone else on the  team.)    (02)

> * Are there any lists of known problems and/or goals that should be met (and
> are not addressed by the current architecture)? Or is the goal of the
> architecture panel to actually create new ideas on what the goals and
> further improvements could be?    (03)

[ppy]  ref. the disposition of the team in our 2010.10.15 discussion -
see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OOR/ConferenceCall_2010_10_15#nid2J4G
- that outlines some of the key tenets that we will try to bound
ourselves to. Apart from those mandates, we do want to integrate all
team members' established, ongoing project that they are planning to
bring to the table right now ... and collaboratively tweak our
thinking on the architecture & API to accommodate everyone as much as
we can.    (04)

> * How fixed is the current OOR architecture - that is, can it still be
> changed radically or only some specific parts of it? (which?)    (05)

[ppy]  except for the key tenets (and of course the OOR mission), we
are totally open to accept anything. The team, as a whole, drives the
process. And, like all open projects, those who contribute more, have
more influence over the outcome.    (06)

> * Is the goal of the current discussion to create a open source community
> (=we?) that begins to actually code together the system? Or more to define
> the architecture on a general level and the APIs, which after we divide the
> system in to modules that are implemented by different OOR related teams,
> e.g. part of existing and future research projects?    (07)

[ppy]  the community *is* already there, and we do have a code-base
(the BioPortal contribution) which we just "forked" from ... affording
us the opportunity to explore different possibilities. ... You said it
very nicely, Yes! We need "to define the architecture on a general
level and the APIs, which [...] divide the system in to modules
[allowing various pieces] to [be] implemented by different OOR related
teams."    (08)

Thanks & regards.  =ppy