Re: [oor-forum] [offline] RE: OOR basic mapping exercise

To: Patrick Cassidy <pat@xxxxxxxxx>, OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Thad Guidry <thadguidry@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:13:57 -0500
Hi Patrick,    (01)

Well, ontologies on there own, floating in the wind, don't help the
world much, in my opinion.  They suddenly become extremely useful when
you have a map in your hand.  From what I have witnessed
unfortunately, many ontologies don't pick up steam because there isn't
a map for you to follow and begin to assert a useful bias.  But I can
see the effort and expertise with OOR to begin to make that possible.    (02)

The document is in the air (my head) but I don't ever plan to publish,
haha.  I come from an Enterprise IT background with a very broad
scientific bent. (I've worked with chemical concepts, biology, &
environmental concerns with a host of scientists out there)    (03)

I did see that COSMO can map quite well to a few other existing
ontologies, thanks to OOR's sandbox.  It didn't take too long for me
to read up on the 3 parts that I had in mind of looking for suitable
mapping points, namely, around PERSON, ORGANIZATION, & GROUPS.  I had
been following FOAF and subscribe to their mailing list as well.  In
addition, I contribute directly to Freebase.com as a Community Expert
where we are constantly looking for new data sets, ideas, and
potential merge efforts to help the greater Semantic Web.
Additionally, one of the projects that I contribute to is Google
Refine http://code.google.com/p/google-refine/ (which we are soon to
release version 2.0 in a few weeks).    (04)

So, I guess you could say, I'm very used to "connecting the dots".    (05)

The OOR sandbox's mapping utility is fairly easy to grasp, kudos to all there.
I think the future is bright overall for more effort towards mapping
and reconciliation.  I know that it's a constant struggle we have
within Freebase.com.    (06)

In regards to COSMO, the tricky sticky mapping part on those 3 areas
for me was mapping FOAF's concept of GROUP and COSMO's.  It finally
came down to the very detailed and helpful description for the AGENT
GROUP in COSMO (versus the other COSMO group concepts) that allowed me
to make the assertion.  I'm curious if others on this list would agree
with that particular mapping point ?    (07)

Regards,
Thad Guidry
Freebase Community Expert
http://www.freebase.com/view/user/thadguidry    (08)