Re: [oor-forum] Open technology [was - Re: CLIF translation of SUMO]

To: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: apease@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Schoening, James R C-E LCMC CIO/G6" <James.Schoening@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Cameron Ross <cross@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 15:56:49 -0400
Hi Peter,

I didn't say that the OOR would include commercial components.  I said that the open source license adopted by the OOR licensing _model_ would allow the inclusion of commercial components (within an integrated system I mean).  By this I mean that commercial components will be allowed to interoperate with open sourced OOR components.  We're saying the same thing.

Cameron.

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [CR]  this intension of OOR licensing has already been stated.
>  Specifically, that the OOR licensing model will allow the inclusion of both
> open source and commercial components.

[ppy]  Cameron, I afraid your statement above has been misconstrued.
Ever since the beginning of the OOR initiative, and inclusive of the
community discourse and communique of OntologySummit2008, OOR
technology has, all along, been envisioned as being under some "open
source" licensing arrangement. We may need further deliberation to
arrive at a consensus on "which" particular licensing arrangement
shall be adopted. We definitely aren't going to re-open discussion on
whether or not OOR is to be open-sourced. The latter is a
prerequisite.

While the "interoperation with" commercial component is part of the
vision, the "inclusion of"commercial components in OOR has never been
part of that vision. ... Please note and proceed along that line of
thinking instead.

Regards.  =ppy
--

--