Re: [oor-forum] CLIF translation of SUMO

To: Cameron Ross <cross@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Adam Pease <apease@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Schoening, James R C-E LCMC CIO/G6" <James.Schoening@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:21:07 -0700
Good questions, Cameron ...    (01)

> [CR]  1)  Is reasoning in scope for the OOR?    (02)

[ppy]  I would think so, at least on two levels ... (a) possibly as an
enabler to ensure quality of the OOR content, and (b) it was
recognized by the community (flashback to OntologySummit2008) that,
while the scope of the "Repository" being only that of the
"container," it is the "services" that one can build to operate on the
content of the container that is going to make the OOR initiative
interesting and worth doing.    (03)

> [CR]  2) Is the OOR intended to be an "open system"? [and]  "open source"?    (04)

[ppy]  Leo answered that already - we want to be *both* and also be
able to interoperate with non-open technology and content. Mike Dean
specifically used the Apache Foundation as a a role model ... the OOR
team would work to enable interoperability with proprietary folks, but
should *only* be developing opensourced technology within the team.    (05)

> [CR]  3) Is the OOR initiative bound to architectural constraints imposed by
>the
> BioPortal code base?    (06)

[ppy]  theoretically NO ... however, since we are actually
bootstrapping off that code base, I'm sure inheriting some of their
architectural decisions may be prudent.    (07)

Regards.  =ppy