[oor-forum] US NSF grant proposal 07-061

To: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ken Baclawski <kenb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 16:17:41 -0400 (EDT)

Attn: OOR team members    (01)

During discussions at the last two OOR team conference calls, we have
been examining various funding opportunities that could be used to
support the OOR effort.  Among others, a subgroup has been formed and
is currently engaged in developing a joint proposal to be submitted to
the Sustainable Digital Data Preservation and Access Network Partners
(DataNet) Program of the Office of Cyberinfrastructure (OCI) NSF
07-061. For more information see the NSF program announcement at
http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2007/nsf07601/nsf07601.htm    (02)

The grants in this NSF program are multi-institutional 5-year awards.
The team has appointed Ken Baclawski (Northeastern University) and
Katherine Goodier (NCI) to co-lead the proposal effort, as well as
having Ken Baclawski as Principal Investigator and Northeastern
University as the lead institution to submit our preliminary proposal
to NSF, which is due 13 November 2008.    (03)

Since this is a collaborative community project, we welcome others on
the OOR team to consider participating in the effort. If you or your
institution can make a significant contribution to this effort and
wish to participate, please contact me at Ken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx by next
Wednesday (15 October 2008).  To be considered for participation please
send me a brief description of what you can uniquely bring to the
project along with your name, affiliation and bio-sketch (no more than
2 pages, please).  If you currently have US federal support, then you
will also need to address the issue of any potential overlap with your
current projects. The co-leads will aggregate all input, synthesize
the material, and will bring it up for review and discussion at the
next OOR-team conference call which all candidate participants should
attend (17-Oct-2008 1~1.5 hrs. starting 12:00pm EDT / 9:00am PDT /
16:00 UTC).    (04)

There are several possibilities for participating and collaborating.
Funded participation can be by a consulting contract or by an
institutional subaward. Since the NSF is a US government agency,
funding preference is given to US consultants and institutions.
Non-funded participation, collaboration and letters of support are
also welcome.    (05)

Please refer to:    (06)

*  relevant OOR meeting notes at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OOR/ConferenceCall_2008_10_10#nid1N8P    (07)

*  our proposal working page at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OpenOntologyRepository_Proposal/Nsf_Oci_07061_2008    (08)

- Ken Baclawski    (09)

NSF_OCI_07061_2008 Proposal Team    (010)

   KenBaclawski (NEU), co-lead
   BruceBargmeyer (LBL)
   MikeDean (BBN)
   Katherine Goodier (NCI), co-lead