Re: [ontology-summit] Proposed RDF FHIR syntax feedback

To: Ontology Summit 2015 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 16:14:15 -0500

On Mar 10, 2015, at 1:54 PM, John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (01)

> On 3/10/2015 1:31 PM, Simon Spero wrote:
>> There are also named individuals that can appear in the T-Box - SH_O_IN(D).
>
> There are some privileged individuals, such as the earth and the sun,
> which are essential for defining geographical coordinates, times, days,
> nights, etc.  For any country X, it's impossible to specify the laws
> of X without referring to X and some named entities in X.  And for any
> business Y, the business types and rules used for Y will normally make
> many references to Y and some named entities in Y.
>
>> There can also be anonymous individuals as annotation values. (This
>> triggered a horrible bug in the OWLAPI when used  with punning.)
>
> Yes.  And my major complaint about OWL is that it should be called
> *An* Ontology Language, not *The* Ontology Language.    (02)

AFAIK, nobody has claimed that it is The Ontology Language. It is "the"
W3C-recommended WEB Ontology Language, with an emphasis on the "Web" part.     (03)

Pat    (04)

>  Some things we
> know about the currently popular languages:  (a) they have changed
> considerably over the past 10 years, (b) they will change even more
> over the next 10 years, and (c) there are and will be many more
> languages that will have to interoperate with them.
>
> For some perspective on the history of interoperable systems and
> proposed standards for them, see http://www.jfsowa.com/ikl
>
> General principle:  Flexible guidelines for ontology design are
> useful.  But rigid standards will be obsolete as soon as they're
> written.  I agree with the comments below by Pat Hayes.
>
> John

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)
phayes@xxxxxxx       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)