Re: [ontology-summit] Proceedings: Ontology Summit 2010: Panel Session-2

To: "Ontology Summit 2010 discussion" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: jim@xxxxxxx
From: "Disbrow, Jim" <Jim.Disbrow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:29:22 -0500
Ontologists and Subject Matter Experts:
You are invited to go to a .gov website focusing on Emerging Technologies
(http://ET.gov) and join the "Energy Water Nexus", a component that has just
been created as a Community of Interest.     (01)

The goal of this component is:
For the "Ontology Summit 2010" in mid-May, construct a Case Study that builds
an ontology with the focus on the tipping point of three tightly entangled
strategic goods - the Energy-Water Nexus vis-a-vis the Climate.    (02)

The benefits of this effort include:
The theme of "Ontology Summit 2010" is how to educate the next generation of
ontologists. An exemplary, focused case study is needed for this. The
development of this case study will support movement toward the Summit's goal.     (03)

Focusing the case study on an important topic would logically lead to
intelligent discussions and movement toward solutions of problems/issues
associated with the topic. In this case, the focus is not just on a single
strategic good, such as Energy, Water or Climate Change, but on the nexus of
the three: the Energy-Water Nexus vis-a-vis the Climate. Building bridges to
network policy on the three to associated knowledge requires involving
computer-based, trusted ontological approaches that combine computer semantics,
metadata and human intelligence.     (04)

On the computer side, we have a specific Formal Information Model (FIM) in the
form of the Physical Fuel Cycle graphic (see:
http://docs.google.com/fileviewid=0BzLPIOUuPgpwMzI1NzkzMTctM2FjMy00OWQ4LTkyM2ItOTJkZmQxZTkxNjY0&hl=en
  ). This becomes the Graphic Face of the Cube (GFC). But Layers of the Cube
and, of course, the interoperable Relationships associating each, every, and
all of these, need specification and standardization. The beginning of this
hyperlinked data cube has been constructed in Adobe Creative Suite. A master
file is available for expansion into a robust operational ontologically-driven
knowledge management network covering all aspects of the physical fuel cycle,
water systems, and the climate (whether it changes in character or not).     (05)

This project is currently an open process intended to have an organic growth,
through Google Docs (acct name: EnergyWaterNexus@xxxxxxxxx ; pwd: ontology2010

If you are interested in participating in building the Ontology for this case
study, please contact Jim Disbrow (Mailto:jim@xxxxxxx ).    (07)

Thanks and have a good day,
Jim Disbrow    (08)