[ontology-summit] [ont-of-ont] is it really the Design Methodology that

To: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Gruninger <gruninger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:22:23 -0400
 From the chat session of
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_04_10    (01)

> JohnGraybeal: For MichaelGruninger: On slide 17, is it really the Design
> Methodology that you care about, or the validation/review characteristics of
> the result?  The important thing would seem to be whether an ontology has
> been established as consistent or conformant along various axes,
> not how it got to that state.  (1DPO)
><http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_04_10#nid1DPO>    (02)

Validation is indeed part of the design methodology (although this should be
emphasized), but the methodology is also related to design rationale --
why is a particular concept included or axiomatized in a particular way?
This is important to know if we want to determine how much of an ontology
can be shared.    (03)

- michael    (04)