[ontology-summit] [onto-of-ont] Could you elaborate on the difference, w

To: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Gruninger <gruninger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:15:38 -0400
 From the chat session of
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_04_10    (01)

 > RexBrooks: Could you elaborate on the difference, with examples,   if
you can, between
 > prescriptive and descriptive ontologies?    (1DQJ)    (02)

I have to admit that this dimension does not seem as critical as the
other dimensions
for understanding the commonalities and distinctions between ontologies.    (03)

Perhaps Barry, or others from the earlier summit, could propose some
good examples
that illustrate the distinction between prescriptive and descriptive
ontologies.
We should also show how this distinction is important to determine
whether two
ontologies can be integrated.    (04)

- michael    (05)