[ontology-summit] [Communique] Re-request for thread summaries by thread

To: "Ontology Summit 2008" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 17:57:59 -0400

Folks,

As requested to the list on Apr. 6 with the subject “All 5 discussion threads: please provide a short summary statement to help flesh out Communique on open ontology repositories”,

we’d like these as input for the Communique.  We want to have these no later than Friday April 18, so that we can submit  a draft of the Communique to the list on Monday, April 21, a week before the Ontology Summit, and invite feedback.

Suggested contributions from (with thread chairs):

State of the Art (Frank Olken)

Quality and Gatekeeping (Barry Smith and Fabian Neuhaus)

Ontology of Ontologies (Michael Gruninger and Pat Hayes)

Repository Architecture (Michelle Raymond and Ravi Sharma)

Open Ontology Repository (Mike Dean, Peter Yim, and Leo Obrst)

As we mention on the Communique wiki page at http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2008_Communique/Draft:

We would like to develop a narrative that shows how these threads all connect, i.e., what is the state-of-the-art in ontology repositories:

  • Which ontologies? Where are they? Where are mappings among ontologies?  What is the  state of the art?
  • What are the entry requirements for ontologies and other artifacts for such an OOR: criteria, validation, certification, etc.?
  • What are the methodologies for ontology development, ontology registration, repository services?
  • What are the requirements from content providers  and from content users?
  • To seriously address the effort, we need to develop an ontology of ontologies: what is this?
  • Once we have requirements, what is the best architecture for an open ontology repository?
  • Finally, we need an OOR roadmap to realization that addresses design, implementation, maintenance, and other issues to make this real.

Thanks,

Leo and Mark

Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Information Discovery & Understanding, Command and Control Center

Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA