Re: [ontology-summit] [Quality] ReFocusing: adequately labeled

To: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Fabian Neuhaus <fabian.neuhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Natasha Noy <noy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:38:41 -0700
On Apr 1, 2008, at 10:30 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:    (01)

> At 11:15 AM -0400 4/1/08, Barry Smith wrote:
>> 6./ did not come from me, but was a result of an earlier discussion
>> on this list.
>> It means, e.g., that if the ontology is in OWL, then it should
>> support OWL reasoners.
>
> ? What does that mean? That it should not produce errors when tested
> using OWL reasoners? That would seem to be reasonable. Maybe the OOR
> should offer 'validation' tools to check at least syntactic
> correctness, or require ontologies to have evidence of external
> validation.    (02)

Then you have to be specific as to which reasoner: the state of the
art is such, that depending on the constructs you use, your ontology
can be perfectly valid OWL, but some OWL reasoners will not be happy
with it, whereas others would think it is just fine.    (03)

I think it is reasonable to include the validation information as
metadata, along with the specific reasoner used, but perhaps not as a
requirement, just because it can be quite vague.    (04)

Natasha    (05)