Re: [ontology-summit] [Quality] ReFocusing

To: Ontology Summit 2008 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:49:50 -0400
Fabian and Holger,    (01)

That is a good summary, but there is no conflict between
those two approaches:    (02)

FN> There is no agreement on how to evaluate ontologies; the
 > main strategies suggested are:
 >
 > (i)  A market driven approach where ontologies are reviewed
 >      by users and ranked like items on Amazon.com; and
 >
 > (ii) an editorial process where ontologies are reviewed
 >      by experts in a similar way as papers which are submitted
 >      to scientific journals.    (03)

Both approaches are excellent and *both* should be adopted.    (04)

HL> I have a feeling that some people think of the solutions as
 > "one XOR the other". I see most value in an approach where the
 > experts review the ontologies alongside regular users. Depending
 > on each user's use case the ranking can then be configured to
 > put more emphasis on the experts or simply reviews deemed helpful.    (05)

I strongly agree.  My only qualification is to note that many
"regular users" may be more expert than many so-called "experts".    (06)

The old economic reason for excluding items from publication is no
longer justified because publication is nearly free.  Furthermore,
a single linear ranking is undesirable, since different groups of
users with different needs will rank ontologies differently.    (07)