Re: [ontology-summit] who cares about the definition of ontology?

To: Ontology Summit 2007 Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 22:35:51 -0500
Tom,    (01)

That's brings back fond (?!?) memories:    (02)

TG> But 15 years ago there was a public effort by the AI
 > community to enable knowledge sharing and an explicit
 > notion of ontology as a mechanism for exposing a kind
 > of interface at the semantic level for these AI systems
 > (Neches and company, 1991).    (03)

For the record, the email archives from that effort are
still on the web:    (04)

    http://www-ksl.stanford.edu/email-archives/srkb.index.html
    SRKB Mail    (05)

If you browse through them, you might notice many of the same
cast of characters with many of the same issues with many of
the same arguments pro and con.  The same issues were further
rehashed in the SUO archives from 2000 to about a few years ago.
(Nostalgia:  we didn't have a spam filter in those days, but
nobody spammed the list.)    (06)

TG> The interesting prospect is what could we do if the folksonomy
 > data of the world -- what all those people are calling their
 > experiences, for various reasons -- were exposed in a mildly
 > consistent way so we could make sense of it.    (07)

We do have such "folksonomy" data, as accumulated over the past
many millennia.  It's called the collected dictionaries of all
the world's recorded languages.    (08)

Good luck,    (09)