Re: [ontology-summit] [ontology as logical theory?] was: RE: Defining "o

To: Ontology Summit 2007 Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Charles D Turnitsa <CTurnits@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 20:02:55 -0500
John, Leo,

Concerning ontological specifications of domains such as phlogiston (and unicorns, future events, and in my particular cases, simulated entities that are required to be represented within an ontological specification to the same degree of fidelity as actual entities) it seems to me that when discussing the validity of the specification, the adherence to the formal rules (structure, satisfying constraints, etc) is of more importance than the subject matter.  After all, the ontological specification (if it is valid) gives the subject matter it's own "reality" for the specified universe of discourse.

As an analogy of what I mean, if one were to consider some of the nonsensical statements of Lewis Carroll, we can certainly say that the subject matter is absurd (in many universes of discourse), yet the statements are grammatically and syntactically correct (the forms and rules of the grammar are satisfied, albeit by nonsense or fabricated words).  In this way we understand that a "bandersnatch" is some sort of thing - it is given a reality in the universe of discourse of Mr. Carroll's poetry.  An ontological specification of that universe would feature an entity in it known as a bandersnatch (with the potential for exhibiting the "frumious" characteristic).  So long as that specification is internally consistent and follows the accepted rules for the type of specification that it is, it should be judged to be valid, regardless of the evaluator's familiarity with or acceptance of the bandersnatch.

I'm not trying to be pedantic with this comment, just trying to see if there is an accepted agreement to divide the validity of the specification from the acceptance of the subject matter.

Charles Turnitsa
Project Scientist
Virginia Modeling, Analysis & Simulation Center
Old Dominion University Research Foundation