ontology-based-standards

[ontology-based-standards] Proceedings: "Ontology-based Standards" mini-

To: ontology-based-standards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 22:04:21 -0700
Dear All,    (01)

We had a really enthusiastic crowd at today's hugely productive
session. A lot of grounds were covered, and we've even identified a
very substantial program (for the upcoming year) along with champions
to leads the various aspects of that program.    (02)

The full proceedings (including the opening slides, full audio
recording, lightly edited and re-organized in-session chat-transcript,
etc.) are already available on line. Please check them out, under the
"Archives" section of today's session page -
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2013_07_18#nid3VFB    (03)

The preliminary outcome of today's brainstorm - Possible session
topics [and folks who will be championing those sessions] will look
something like:
//
1. Ontology-based Standards in the area of Quantities and Units of
Measure [PeterYim, FrankOlken?]
2. Ontology-based Standards in Geospatial Domains [TaraAthan, Gary Berg-Cross?]
3. Ontology-based Standards in Manufacturing [BobYoung,
MichaelGruninger, RichardMartin]
4. Ontology-based Financial Standards (e.g. ISO 15944, FIBO)
[MikeBennett, BillMcCarthy, ElieAbiLahoud]
5. Standards and Ontology Metadata [ElisaKendall, TerryLongstreth]
6. Ontologies for Social Networks [KenBaclawski, EricChan]
7. How ontologies can help with the formal specification the natural
language of standards [SimonSpero, RichardMartin, MarkJohnson,
KenBaclawski]
8. Synthesis and harmonization of the ontologies and standards
presented in the miniseries [???]
//    (04)

This is not locked in concrete yet. So, do continue to refine them (by
suggesting further ideas, and discussing them on this mailing list.)    (05)

One of us (Gruninger, Kendall & Yim) will be in touch to coordinate
things and help the various champions move their sessions forward.    (06)

A huge THANK YOU to everyone who came today and contributed to the
ideas and planning!    (07)

... We also agreed to start a wiki page to capture
OntologyBasedStandards initiatives, efforts, projects and related
work. I have just started that page on the OntologWiki and initialized
it with some of the work discussed today - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologyBasedStandards_Work
... please continue to help populate that page.    (08)

Thanks & regards. =ppy    (09)

For the OntologyBasedStandards mini-series initiatives
and today's Session Co-chairs
Michael Gruninger & Elisa Kendall
--    (010)