ontoiop-forum

Re: [ontoiop-forum] OntoIOp/DOL: new version of draft standard document

To: ontoiop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Tara Athan <taraathan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 13:20:54 -0400
Some comments on the defintions in Section 4.

In general, I think the definitions would read better if they started with an indefinite article ("a" or "the", as appropriate). In my experience, this is always done in English definitions. The extra meaning from the choice between "a" and "the" can be significant. E.g.

OMS
a set of expressions ...

signature
the set of all non-logical symbols of an OMS

Some particulars

Section 4.1

1. The definitions of OMS and OMS language are slightly circular. Does any language with a formal, declarative, logic-based semantics (plus non-logical annotations) qualify as an OMS? Is there something extra in the requirement (paraphrased) that  it be "used in the formal specification of sets of expressions in itself"?

Also, in the list of Examples, is OWL really a single OMS language? There are two semantics (Direct and RDF-based).

2. non-logical symbol: this definition depends on a certain interpretation of "atomic" (as opposed to its use in "an atomic sentence" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_sentence). All uses of "atom" through the document appear to be consistent with this usage, in the sense of indivisible. It is perhaps worth a footnote to
clarify.

3. the definition of "signature" does not account for partitioning of the non-logical symbols. Elsewhere, I see signatures being defined as a structure consisting of several sets. There is a certain use of signature (as in "a signature-free syntax", when used to describe syntaxes like CL ) that depends on this narrower sense of "signature". This is particularly relevant if one is to say "The sentence A conforms to the signature S." When a sentence is conformant to a signature, is it also necessary that the structure of the signature be respected?

This definition of signature is pertinent to the phrase "signature of O1", where O1 is an OMS. Elsewhere I have seen the usage "the signature of L1" where L1 is an OMS language (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signature_%28logic%29). In this document, I do not see any usage of signature in this sense. This is perhaps worth a footnote to clarify.

4. In model, certain phrases (model of an OMS) are left to be defined in the Note. Is "model of a signature" is assumed to be the primary usage?

Section 4.5

1. union: aggregation of several OMSs to a new OMS where (only) identically-named non-logical symbols of the involved OMSs are identi�ed

"Identified" is being used in a non-typical sense here, and not in the sense used in the definition of "resource" in section 4.2. If I am reading this correctly, this is saying that the signatures of the new OSMs is the union of the involved OSMs, without any name mapping.

2. Similar concern for "combination"

Section 4.6
profile: sublanguage of an OMS language that targets speci�c applications or reasoning methods

I'm not sure this definition is compatible with the example of OWL. Is OWL a single OMS language (there is a different semantics for OWL 2 Full and the other
profiles, I believe).

Section 4.8

1. heterogeneous OMS. OMS whose parts are supported by different logics.

Note: At first glance, this seems to contradict the definition of OMS (which is a set of expressions in a given OMS language). However, in looking at Annex C, I see the graph where various profiles of OWL are supported by different logics.

Tara