ontoiop-forum

Re: [ontoiop-forum] [ontoiop-wg] Possibly related work on giving SysML a

To: ontoiop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Till Mossakowski <Till.Mossakowski@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 13:29:20 +0200
Dear Christoph,    (01)

thanks for this valuable hint. Including SysML (whether officially or
informally via the registry) is a good idea.    (02)

All the best,
Till    (03)

Am 07.10.2013 13:21, schrieb Christoph LANGE:
> Dear Henson,
>
> thanks for these further details about MBSE and SysML.
>
> As you wrote this to Peter, Leo and me, and after Peter had included you
> into the discussion that I had started on the OntoIOp side, may I assume
> that it is OK to share it with the whole OntoIOp community?  (I am Ccing
> them in this reply, quoting the relevant parts from your email below.)
>
> This is because I am neither a UML nor a SysML expert, but just happened
> to be the connection point between the MCS special issue and OntoIOp.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christoph

>> As
>> you now know I have been involved with various ontolog efforts. Also in
>> theory I lead the INCOSE MBSE ontology action team which you can find at
>> http://www.omgwiki.org/MBSE/doku.php?id=mbse:ontology. Have a look, I
>> could use a lot of help.
>>
>> My work on formal semantics for SysML is very much ongoing, in progress.
>> I can fill you in on that. The quick version is that I realized several
>> years ago that I could map a large class of SysML models as axiom sets
>> in a logic formalism based on the map and type (object) constructions of
>> topos theory (ABD in the paper).  The topos version simply axiomatizes
>> set theory constructions in an algebraic way. It also has advantages for
>> dynamics. This formalism can in turn be loaded within the right kind of
>> inference engine and used to do some of the kinds of  examples that I
>> think engineers would understand and like.
>>
>> I am familiar with the work on giving UML class diagrams a formal
>> semantics, e.g., work by  Berardi, D., Calvanese, D., and De Giacomoa,
>> G., 2005. While this is very good work, it suffers from the same
>> Description Logic insufficiencies that have led Ian Horrocks and friends
>> to first do the description graph extension and now the Logic
>> Programming Description Graph extension. In my opinion none of these
>> extensions are sufficient. That statement requires discussion.  Brief
>> form is that none of the DL formalisms really represent the diagrams in
>> the languages well. However, they can be represented easily within the
>> topos framework, which uses a two sorted signature for maps (arrows) and
>> types (nodes). By using two sorted FOL approach one can express
>> statements that are higher order in other approaches.
>>
>> You may find all of this a bit confusing, but ...
>>
>> Best Regards
>> Henson

Prof. Dr. Till Mossakowski  Cartesium, room 2.51 Phone +49-421-218-64226
DFKI GmbH Bremen                             Fax +49-421-218-9864226
Cyber-Physical Systems                      Till.Mossakowski@xxxxxxx
Enrique-Schmidt-Str. 5, D-28359 Bremen
http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~till/    (05)

principal office, *not* the address for mail etc.!!!:
Trippstadter Str. 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
management board: Prof. Wolfgang Wahlster (chair), Dr. Walter Olthoff
supervisory board: Prof. Hans A. Aukes (chair)
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313    (06)