ontoiop-forum

Re: [ontoiop-forum] Definitional extensions in CLIF are not conservative

To: OntoIOp open discussion <ontoiop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 20:22:00 -0500
On Aug 17, 2012, at 8:04 PM, Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Fyi ...
>
> During the OntoIOp team meeting of 15-Aug-2012, the issues raised by
> FabianNeuhaus and TillMossakowski concerning definitional extensions
> in Common Logic appears to be an unintended consequence of the
> decision to make CLIF an unsegregated dialect. Allowing a segregated
> dialect of CLIF would get around these problems.
>
> FabianNeuhaus and TillMossakowski, supported by JohnSowa and
> MichaelGruninger, suggested that we should use this as an argument to
> propose a modification to Common Logic.    (01)

Just to enhance and clarify what you are saying here, Peter: What Till has
proposed is a modification to the CLIF dialect of Common Logic that is defined
in an appendix of the CL ISO standard (viz., to allow for the use non-discourse
names in definitions and, hence, to make CLIF a segregated, rather than
non-segregated, dialect of Common Logic). Modification to Common Logic per se
is not required to implement this.    (02)

-chris    (03)