model-challenge

Re: [model-challenge] Executable English Reasoning

To: Modeling Benchmark Challenge <model-challenge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Adrian Walker <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 11:14:05 -0400
Hi Leo,

Thanks for your note.

The bottom line for us is -- does the Executable English system [1] do something useful in the real world?

Now for some detail on how it goes about attempting that.

You wrote:

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, Adrian, but behind this restricted English representation is logic programming, i.e., Horn Logic, a syntactically restricted FOL.   [emphasis added]

Actually, restricted is probably misleading.  Perhaps surprisingly, the vocabulary is open, and so to a large extent is the syntax.  This means for example that one can freely write using government acronyms, jargon, etc.  [2] .   That's a big claim, I know, and there is a trade off.  The system can also be used to reason about controlled vocabularies.

"Logic programming" means different things to different people.

I'd label Prolog as "Logic Flavored Procedural Programming", and Executable English as "Logic Oriented Specification Seeking All Answers".

The core inference method behind EE is different from Prolog's, and is based on [3], meaning that it extends pure Horn with a version of negation-as-failure.  (NAF is controversial in some communities, but it is essentially what SQL uses, and the world economy runs on SQL.  More recent versions of SPARQL support something similar to NAF.)

Do you use any non-Horn Logic extensions or second-order logic, etc.?

Yes, a version of NAF, as mentioned.  There are  aggregations (sum, min, max etc), and explanations, namely English versions of proofs/plans.  There are also built-in predicates for arithmetic, for checking the current date, and so on.

I hope this makes sense.  It is admittedly contrarian, but it is also live online for anyone to test. There are papers and presentations on the web site, and  we can go into deeper technical details off-list or by phone if you'd like.

                            Thanks,  -- Adrian

[1]  Internet Business Logic
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English Q/A over SQL and RDF
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
Shared use is free, and there are no advertisements

[2]   www.reengineeringllc.com/rule_examples.html

[3]   Backchain Iteration: Towards a Practical Inference Method that is Simple  Enough to be Proved Terminating, Sound and Complete. Journal of Automated Reasoning, 11:1-22