mini-series-org

[EarthScienceOntolog] mini-series kick-off session - Thu 2012.08.09 - pr

To: mini-series-org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 20:27:08 -0700
Dear All,    (01)

At our Jun-21 planning meeting (ref.
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2012_06_21 )
identified that we will have our kick-off session on Thu 2012.08.09 to
cover the "Value Proposition of Ontology and Semantic Technology for
the Earth Science Community," it is time to start tying down the next
level of details. The following are some initial suggestions and a
strawman on how we would proceed.    (02)

1. I took the liberty of identifying Krishna and Leo as the co-chairs
for this first session. Is that ok with both of you? (and with
everyone?) ... barring suggestions to the contrary, I shall proceed as
such.    (03)

2. I'd suggest that this will be a 2-Hour virtual panel session -
featured as an augmented conference call in the Ontolog Forum style -
as an example, see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2012_03_08    (04)

3. we could have 2 co-chairs, 4~6 panelists (total 6~8 presenter -
with 10 min. briefs each) and plenty of time (at least 30 minutes) for
open Q&A and discussions. ... [action] please offer to speak by
sending in the name/title/abstract of your talk or others you think
would fit well into this session.    (05)

3.1 we definitely want to hear suggestions from the co-chairs asap, to
form a base to build upon.    (06)

3.2 I suggest everyone who is on this team to also consider themselves
for one to two (max) speaking opportunities through the course of the
mini-series. That will give ourselves a lot of room to invite other
speakers, and prevent the content to be totally dominated by this
group.    (07)

4. I suggest we are, at least, 80% done in terms of identifying the
program for the Aug-9 session within a week (i.e. by Jul-24.)    (08)

ALL: ideas, comments, suggestions welcome!    (09)

Thanks & regards. =ppy
--    (010)

Message Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/mini-series-org/
Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki