iaoa-swao

[iaoa-swao] Proposed charter for the Semantic Web Applied Ontology SIG

To: IAOA SemanticWeb-AppliedOntology SIG <iaoa-swao@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Andrea Westerinen <andreaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 12:44:01 -0400

Please review and recommend changes to this charter for the Semantic Web Applied Ontology SIG (http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?IAOA_SWAO_SIG):

The Semantic Web Applied Ontology SIG aims to bridge the gap between the Semantic Web and the IAOA communities. This SIG's goals are to support communication and collaboration and to promote the use of applied ontology, with our colleagues in the Semantic Web (including Linked Data) community.  In addition, we want to better understand how the Semantic Web community’s problem spaces impact applied ontology. (We view applied ontology as using ontological analysis methods and reasoning to address business problems.)

Often the two communities think that they have nothing in common, whereas we believe that there is much in common - including goals, technologies, and interest in well-engineered ontologies. Many of us in IAOA promote and use Semantic Web technologies. Similarly, many in the Semantic Web community advocate more rigorous and principled ontologies (based on ontological analysis), and use semantic technologies and reasoning to address issues when dealing with vast amounts of heterogeneous data on the Web.  Our goal is to assist each side in bringing their perspectives to the table.

In order to promote communication, this SIG is event-focused. We are concentrating on bringing together the individuals, techniques and technologies of both communities. Our activities focus on sponsoring joint workshops, collaborative authoring of journal articles across the communities, and hosting related activities such as participation in summer schools in both communities, and joint tutorials which would help build bridges.

Andrea Westerinen
Nine Points Solutions, LLC
www.ninepts.com | Innovation Delivered

Msg Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/iaoa-swao/
File-share: http://iaoa.cim3.net/file/work/SIG/SemanticWeb-AppliedOntology/
SIG Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?IAOA_SWAO_SIG
Activities Blog: http://iaoa-activities.blogspot.com/ ...(coming!)
To join: please email the SIG conveners or to: info[at]iaoa.org
IAOA website: http://iaoa.org     (01)