[iaoa-member] [SWAO SIG] Summary of SWAO SIG telecon of Feb. 3, 2014

To: "[IAOA-member]" <iaoa-member@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 23:48:35 +0000

FYI. Next IAOA SWAO SIG meetings and Summary of Feb. 3, 2014 meeting.

NEXT MEETINGS:

Next (out of schedule/extraordinary) IAOA SWAO SIG meeting: February 17, 2014, 10 am EST / 4 pm CET / UTC (GMT) 15:00.

Agenda:

1) The Charter working group will propose a draft of the new SWAO SIG charter.

2) The ISWC workshop proposal working group will propose: 1) a decision as to whether we should propose a workshop, and if so, 2) a draft of a workshop proposal.

Next regular meeting (first Monday of every month): March 3, 2014, 10 am EST / 4 pm CET / UTC (GMT) 15:00.

Tentative Agenda:

1) Finalize and vote on the charter by the Charter working group.

2) Make final decision on ISWC workshop proposal.

SUMMARY of second SWAO SIG telecon of Feb. 3, 2014:

Note that this is approximate, and I hope the participants correct me if I am wrong or miss essential items, for which I offer my apologies.

== participants ==

Elie Abi-Lahoud

Ken Baclawski

Mike Bennett

Stefano Borgo

Mike Dean

Gigi Lipori

Frank Loebe

Leo Obrst

Dennis Pierson

Todd Schneider

Andrea Westerinen

Peter Yim

The main agenda items for this meeting (with number IV being new):

I) The selection of co-chairs, and possibly sub co-chairs, depending on proposed sub-committees,

II) The structure and activities of the SWAO SIG that we would like, now and for the future,

III) Prospective joint events/activities among the IAOA SWAO SIG and other organizations. This includes the current Ontology Summit 2014: Big Data and Semantic Web Meet Applied Ontology: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2014.

Logistics information is at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?IAOA_SWAO_SIG#nid44IO.

DISCUSSION OF AGENDA ITEMS:

I)  The selection of co-chairs, and possibly sub co-chairs, depending on proposed sub-committees:

Leo Obrst (as IAOA EC liaison to SWAO SIG) recommended Andrea Westerinen, Mike Bennett, and Elie Abi-Lahoud as co-chairs of the SWAO SIG. Attendees had no objections, and so pending IAOA EC approval, are co-chairs.*, **

*We have gotten IAOA EC approval for these co-chairs.  (Feb. 6, 2014 IAOA EC meeting).

** Confirm IAOA membership of co-chairs.

II/IV) The structure and activities of the SWAO SIG that we would like, now and for the future:

CHARTER:

The suggestion was made to finalize the SWAO SIG charter, building on the informal charter at:  http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?IAOA_SWAO_ConferenceCall_2013_11_25#nid41CF.

We displayed and discussed IAOA Bylaws: ARTICLE IX. SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS AND REGIONAL CHAPTERS. Note that Article IX discusses requirements for a Chair and a Secretary for SIGs, along with term limits, election procedure, development of a charter/mission statement, etc. We expressed that SIGs heretofore have “informally” observed these requirements, and have opted to relax constraints on inaugeration of the SIGs, with stricter enforcement to follow as IAOA evolves. [This should be an IAOA EC action item: clarification].

The SWAO SIG (like all SIGs) will largely be defined by its charter and the concrete activities it engages in, i.e., the events and collaborations we choose to pursue. One example is the Design Semantics SIG, which is sponsoring a workshop in 2014.

SWAO SIG WEB PAGE:

At some point the SWAO SIG (like the Design Semantics SIG) will want to have its own web page, but for now, we will start with the Ontolog wiki page at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?IAOA_SWAO_SIG, to be further elaborated. If we do have an ISWC workshop proposal, we should have a web page to refer to.

IMMEDIATE WORKING GROUPS:

We proposed two immediate activities:

1) A Charter working group which will propose a draft of the new SWAO SIG charter by our next (extraordinary) meeting on February 17, 2014, 10 am EST / 4 pm CET / UTC (GMT) 15:00. The group consists of: Elie Abi-Lahoud, Mike Bennett, Andrea Westerinen.

2) The ISWC workshop proposal working group will propose: 1) a decision as to whether we should propose a workshop, and if so, 2) a draft of a workshop proposal. The group consists of:  Stefano Borgo, Mike Dean, Gigi Lipori, Frank Loebe*, Elie Abi-Lahoud, Leo Obrst.**

*Frank Loebe is supportive but will have no time until after April, 2014.

**ISSUE: We need chairs/organizing committee/program committee members of the proposed ISWC workshop who can be present physically at ISWC 2014. Stefano Borgo will be there, but we suggest asking Luciano Serafini (local arrangements co-chair of ISWC 2014) and others of IAOA who will be able to attend: Nicola Guarino,  and others. Also, non-IAOA members such as Krzysztof Janowicz and Pascal Hitzler, who have interests in the SWAO SIG. Other recommendations? Please suggest people.

We need to de-conflict any IAOA SWAO SIG-sponsored ISWC 2014 workshop against recent past ISWC workshops and proposed workshops: historical review and contact of ISWC 2014 workshop chairs are suggested.

The official deadline for all ISWC workshop proposals is Mar 19: http://iswc2014.semanticweb.org/important_dates

MEETINGS:

We agreed to meet monthly, on the first Monday of the month, 10 am EST / 4 pm CET / UTC (GMT) 15:00, except for special extraordinary meetings. So our next meetings are:

Next (out of schedule/extraordinary) IAOA SWAO SIG meeting: February 17, 2014, 10 am EST / 4 pm CET / UTC (GMT) 15:00.

Agenda:

1) The Charter working group will propose a draft of the new SWAO SIG charter.

2) The ISWC workshop proposal working group will propose: 1) a decision as to whether we should propose a workshop, and if so, 2) a draft of a workshop proposal.

Next regular meeting (first Monday of every month): March 3, 2014, 10 am EST / 4 pm CET / UTC (GMT) 15:00.

Tentative Agenda:

1) Finalize and vote on the charter by the Charter working group.

2) Make final decision on ISWC workshop proposal.

III) Prospective joint events/activities among the IAOA SWAO SIG and other organizations:

Currently: this includes the current Ontology Summit 2014: Big Data and Semantic Web Meet Applied Ontology: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2014.

*We have gotten IAOA EC approval for this (Feb. 6, 2014 IAOA EC meeting).

Thanks!

Leo