[iaoa-member] Position statement for EC election

To: "[IAOA-member]" <iaoa-member@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Oliver Kutz <okutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 00:56:10 +0200
Dear IAOA members,     (01)

please find my position statement for this year's EC election below.     (02)

Kind regards,     (03)

Oliver    (04)

POSITION STATEMENT    (05)

I got involved in the field of formal ontology via studying mathematical and
philosophical logic, and later Description Logics. In my PhD work in Liverpool,
I co-designed the E-connections technique used today in modular ontology
design. As a postdoc in Manchester, I co-developed the logic SROIQ, now
standardised by the W3C as the logical foundation for the Web Ontology Language
OWL 2. My engagement with applied ontology strengthened through collaborations
with the LOA in Trento, a few years back, when we worked on producing a machine
processable version of the DOLCE ontology and later by giving a formal proof of
DOLCE's consistency. I now serve as co-chair (together with Till Mossakowski
and Michael Gruninger) of a standardisation effort to design the Distributed
Ontology Language (DOL), a meta-language subsuming most ontology languages in
use today and adding meta-constructs to allow linking and modular combination
of existing (heterogeneous) ontologies.     (06)

My work within ontology research is focused on problems of modularity and
structuring, and I have co-chaired several editions of the International
Workshops on Modular Ontologies (WoMO) as well as co-edited a special issue of
Applied Ontology on the subject. I am also specifically interested in
interdisciplinary applications of formal ontology, including in biomedicine and
chemistry, natural language, design and architecture, and computational
creativity (for instance by organising the workshop series 'SHAPES - The Shape
of Things'). I support a pluralistic position in formal ontology, according to
which different applications and reasoning scenarios require different
ontological foundations, formal languages and tools. I believe that the
development of DOL, in this respect, will bring significant advances in terms
of interoperability, and I hope that the forthcoming FOIS ontology competition
will be an opportunity to provide proof for this.        (07)

Concerning my involvement within IAOA, I have been one of the founding members
of IAOA in 2009, and have been co-chairing the infrastructure committee since
2010 (this includes e.g. website design and maintenance, setting up blogs,
managing outreach through social networking websites, etc). I have promoted
IAOA and its aims in various communities engaged in ontology research in a
broad sense, and initiated the involvement of several academic events as IAOA
supported events. I currently help organising the FOIS 2014 conference as PC
chair.    (08)

One of my main concerns as an IAOA EC member (elected in 2012) has been to
foster and strengthen the outreach to different communities that are involved
in ontology research and its applications, specifically those transcending
traditional disciplinary boundaries.    (09)

For more background about my research and activities, please visit my homepage
at:        (010)

http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~okutz/    (011)