iaoa-member
[Top] [All Lists]

[iaoa-member] Zena Wood's acceptance and position statement

To: "[IAOA-member]" <iaoa-member@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 22:06:59 +0200
Message-id: <D2415D32-8DD1-465F-9544-44A7D83499A1@xxxxxxxxx>
Dear all, 
I'm forwarding Zena Wood's message which includes her position statement.
Hopefully, her trouble in sending messages to the iaoa-member list will be solved soon.
Cheers
Stefano

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 15 September 2013 22:01:30 CEST
To: Stefano Borgo <stefano.borgo@xxxxxxxxx>

OK I am afraid it still will not work. Could you send the following please?

Dear all,

I would like to thank Stefano and Antony for their nomination, which I would like to accept. Please find my position statement below.

Position statement:

I am a Senior Lecturer in Computer Science at the University of Exeter. My PhD focused on collectives and how they could be identified within a spatiotemporal dataset. A large part of the thesis was grounded in Applied Ontology identifying what is meant by the term ‘collective’ and the different types of collective may exist. I have been a member of the IAOA since 2010 and have published within the Journal of Applied Ontology and at FOIS. 

If I were to be elected on to the Executive Council, I would focus on two main areas: accessibility and education; two areas that are very closely linked. Although relatively new the field of Applied Ontology is exciting and interdisciplinary. I think the IAOA should continue to build on this and try to ensure that the association, and the discipline, is as accessible as possible. This could involve many different methods but I think ways in which newer members to the field and the association, especially students and possible interdisciplinary collaborations, should be carefully considered. By encouraging and supporting new members and collaborations the community can be strengthened and allow the field to mature. An important way to support new collaborations and members to help build a stronger community is through education. Summer schools and workshops are valuable resources to those that are new to the field and should continue to be developed and promoted. 

It is likely that new funding sources would have to be identified and obtained in order to build upon the work that is already being done. Therefore, as a member of the IAOA EC I would try to establish some of these connections.

Thank you,

Zena
Dr. Zena Wood
Senior Lecturer (E&S) Computer Science
ITMB (BSc, MSc) Programme Lead
College Outreach Coordinator

URGENCHE Project: www.urgenche.eu

Community Portal: http://iaoa.org     (01)
<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • [iaoa-member] Zena Wood's acceptance and position statement, Stefano Borgo <=