[iaoa-member] Position Statement for EC election

To: "[IAOA-member]" <iaoa-member@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Fabian Neuhaus <fneuhaus@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 13:40:35 -0400
Dear IAOA members,      (01)

As Stefano wrote, all nominees have the opportunity (and are required) to
submit a position statement. So let me start the process.     (02)

Not surprisingly, my position has not really changed much since you elected me
to the EC last year. In my opinion, one of the long term goals of the IAOA
should be to foster applied ontology from an emerging  field to a mature
engineering discipline. In my my position statement from last year [1], I
proposed that the IAOA should address three critical areas:
(1) Standards;
(2) Education;
(3) Evaluation of ontologies.    (03)

Since last year my main 'campaign promise' was to encourage the IAOA to be
active in these areas, I'd like to use this opportunity to review the IAOA
activities (and my contributions) in these three areas since my term on the EC
started in January.      (04)

Standards. IAOA plays two important roles in this area. The dissemination of
information about standards (e.g., with the "Ontology and Standards" miniseries
on Ontolog) and via the participation of its members in standardization
efforts. One example for that is the revision of the ISO Common Logic standard,
which is on its way under the chairmanship of Michael Gruninger.  I contributed
to this effort by  co-authoring (together with Tara Athan) a proposal for a new
semantics of Common Logic, which addresses many shortcomings of the current
version of the standard.     (05)

Education. The balance in this area is a somewhat mixed bag. Some of the
projects (e.g., the lexicon and the textbook) have not made as much progress as
expected. This may partially be the result of lack of leadership. Since Antony
Galton and I resigned as chairs of the Education Committee earlier this year,
nobody has stepped forward to take the lead. (I have been serving as acting
chair.) -- The good news is that the summer school "Ontologies and models for
integrated assessments of multiple-scale processes" in June was a great
success. And we are looking forward to a IAOA Summer School next year in
Victoria, Brazil.     (06)

Evaluation of ontologies.  This is probably the area in which there was the
most activity of the IAOA during the last 6 months. IAOA co-organized the
"Ontology Summit 2013: Ontology Evaluation Across the Ontology Lifecycle",
which involved  events spanning from January to May, including  weekly
teleconferences, hackathons, ontology clinics, and a face-to-face meeting in
Gaithersburg, Maryland. I served as one of the lead editors of the Ontology
Summit 2013 Communique [2], which captured the community consensus that emerged
during these events.  It was endorsed  by 162 members of the community, and has
been accepted for publication by "Applied Ontology".       (07)

All in all, I think that the IAOA is on a very good path. Of course, there is
room for improvement. I hope that we will be able to find new leadership for
the Education Committee soon. More generally, I think that we need to work on
strengthening the community and encourage more active participation and
interaction between the IAOA members.     (08)

If you give me the opportunity, I'll continue to work with the other EC members
to promote activities in these areas.     (09)

Sincerely,
Fabian Neuhaus     (010)

[1]
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?IAOA_ExecutiveCouncil_Election_2012#nid3CUI
[2] http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2013_Communique    (011)

About me: After I received my PhD in philosophy in 2002, I worked as post-doc
at the Institute for Formal Ontology and Medical Information Science (IFOMIS)
and the National Center for Biomedical Ontology (NCBO). Since 2007 I am a guest
researcher at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). I have
worked on a broad range of ontology-related subjects; including the semantics
of Common Logic, Basic Formal Ontology, anatomy ontology, and semantic
mediation.  I have been a co-organizer of the Ontology Summit since 2009, I
have been the co-chair of the IAOA Education Committee between 2010 and 2013,
and I have been member of the IAOA Executive Council since 2013.     (012)