[iaoa-member] Procedural hint on nominations == RE: Nominations for IAOA

To: "'[IAOA-member]'" <iaoa-member@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Frank Loebe" <frank.loebe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 16:40:33 +0200
Dear All,    (01)

thanks for thinking of nominations and getting things going!    (02)

Please allow me a procedural comment on the call for nominations. The ByLaws
primarily suggest nominations of members who are willing to be nominated:    (03)

"[...] The members making the nomination shall ensure that they, as well as
the nominee, are current members of the Association, and that the nominee
shall accept the nomination. Nominees must have been members for more than
one year. [...]"
[IAOA ByLaws, Art. VII, Section 3; see full section below]    (04)

In my opinion, this does not necessarily mean that the member's list
shouldn't be open for discussion on who we may think of as possibly being
good candidates. This may be useful for potential candidates to see that
they would find support and for supporters to think of someone not thought
of before. Formal nominations and seconding should then be backed up by a
request to the nominee beforehand, I think.    (05)

Thanks for engaging in the EC election and best regards,
Frank Loebe    (06)

[1] IAOA ByLaws as of June 19, 2012    (07)

    http://www.iaoa.org/resources/IAOA-ByLaws-V1.2.doc.pdf    (08)

< quote >    (09)

ARTICLE VII. ELECTION OF COUNCILORS AND OFFICERS
[...]    (010)

Section 3. Nominations and Campaigning.
At least two members (a proposer and at least one seconder, none of whom
should be the nominee) are required in order to make a nomination. The
members making the nomination shall ensure that they, as well as the
nominee, are current members of the Association, and that the nominee shall
accept the nomination. Nominees must have been members for more than one
year. The nomination, signed by those nominating members, along with the
nominee's "position statement" shall be delivered to the Election Committee
during that "nomination window." On timely receipt of a nomination and after
the positive verification of the IAOA membership of the candidates and the
proposers, the Election Committee shall add a nominee to the ballot list of
candidates. The Executive Council may also nominate candidates by
communicating to the Election Committee the names of the nominees during
that "nomination window." All communication can be done in writing or in
electronic form. Once verified, the nominee becomes a candidate and may
actively campaign for support, making use of the Association's member
mailing list and other communication means to do so, until the specified
end-of-campaign time point.    (011)

</ quote >    (013)