[iaoa-member] IAOA Assembly: Details on voting items and procedure

To: iaoa-member@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Michael Gruninger <mudcat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 10:39:08 -0400

Dear IAOA members,    (01)

last week I had announced the upcoming (virtual) assembly for discussion and
approval of the Association's 2012 financial statement and the proposed 2013
budget, as necessitated by our Statute and other legal requirements.    (02)

You can now find the two corresponding documents available at the IAOA
website via the "Member's Area" [1-3]. We are happy about a very positive
balance for last year - please have a look at both files and their
accompanying comments [4], also inserted below.    (03)

Discussion on the budgets (and possibly other issues concerning the
Association) can start now at the [iaoa-member] mailing list [4] and can be
taken into account until April 23. Everyone is invited to contribute
questions or comments as they occur. If necessary, revised final versions
will be published on April 24 for your inspection.    (04)

Approval of both items will be held via electronic ballots between April 26
and April 30 (inclusively, from midnight to midnight in Central European
Summer Time) [5]. All votes are anonymous. Further details on the voting
process are below the budget comments in this message and on [6]. They will
be distributed again when the ballot starts.    (05)

For approval we need to satisfy a quorum of at least 50% of the current
members plus one. Please note that only those members can vote who have an
active membership, i.e., who have already completed their membership renewal
for 2013 or have newly joined us this year (before April 16). Yet everyone
can contribute to discussions beforehand. If we are not able to meet the
quorum requirement, a second call will be necessary.    (06)

If the quorum is met, the financial statement and the proposed budget will
be approved by a favorable vote of a simple majority of all actual
participants in the ballot. The outcome of the voting will be announced to
the [iaoa-member] mailing list by May 4.    (07)

PLEASE be aware that your vote is truly important to let our Association
move forward - and IT JUST TAKES A FEW MINUTES! We really count on your
participation between April 26 and April 30 and we will highly appreciate
your support of IAOA in this respect, as a community.    (08)

Thanks and best wishes,
Michael Gruninger
IAOA President    (09)

Comments on the Budget
----------------------
We are happy to submit to vote a very positive balance for the year 2012.    (010)

In 2012, the IAOA grew very significantly. We were 244 members at the end of
the year, while at the end of 2011 we were only 144. Another positive sign
is that the renewal rate is quite high: we had 110 membership renewals
between 2011 and 2012.    (011)

In 2012, our association's activities also took a decisive turn. We directly
organized the First Interdisciplinary Summer School on Ontological Analysis.
And for the first time, we have been able to support with grants the
participation of students to two of our major events: this Summer School and
the Seventh International Conference on Formal Ontology in Information
Systems (FOIS 2012, our flagship conference). Both these IAOA events have
had a great success in participation and quality, and the excellent
organization turned out to yield surpluses that considerably benefited the
IAOA. Although registration fees were kept low, the Summer School and FOIS
2012 respectively yielded 7,271.15 EUR and 10,072.03 EUR surplus.    (012)

With such a good status of our finances, the support to disadvantaged
members of the association will continue in 2013, with planned support to
the 2013 Summer Institute and to another IAOA event, the Workshop on Modular
Ontologies (WoMO 2013). We are also helping an IAOA supported event, the
Shapes workshop, to cover the expenses of an invited speaker. As far as our
third major IAOA event is concerned, the Ontology Summit is going on right
now, and its organization runs wonderfully with little support from IAOA.    (013)

The objective underlying the previsional budget for 2013 is also to keep the
IAOA finances robust enough to be able to assume the risks associated with
the organization of large events like the upcoming FOIS 2014 in Rio de
Janeiro, Brazil.    (014)

For the future, we are encouraging all the membership to keep taking part in
IAOA activities as well as to propose new ones, for instance within the
Special Interest Groups. And for now, please contribute to the IAOA's good
health by casting your vote on the 2012 Financial Statement!    (015)

Voting details
--------------    (016)

The assembly will be called to order by the President for April 26, 00:00
(CEST) [5]. The act of casting a ballot will constitute a member's
participation in the assembly.    (017)

The voting options for the 2012 financial statement will be "Yes" (for
acceptance), "No" (for rejection), and "Abstain".
The voting options for the 2013 previsional budget will be "Yes" (for no
objections), "No" (for rejection), and "Abstain".    (018)

During the assembly / voting period:    (019)

1.) Go to the "Member's Area" [1] and log in with your IAOA account details.    (020)

Your user name corresponds to the email address registered with IAOA (which
may differ from the one specified for [iaoa-member]). If you do not remember
your password, you can reset it immediately via [7], found as a link at
"Membership and Benefits" [8]. Via resetting your password you should
receive a message at the email address that acts as your user name.    (021)

2.) In the "Member's Area" [1], click on the tab "Utilities" (the left-most
menu item in the top link bar). Then click on the item "2012 voting system".    (022)

3.) CAST YOUR VOTES, PLEASE!    (023)