[iaoa-member] 2012 IAOA Assembly - Executive Council renewal and Bylaws

To: IAOA-members <iaoa-member@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Nicola Guarino <guarino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 22:10:53 +0200
Dear IAOA members,

             The 2012 IAOA Assembly is going to be open soon. This is a very important occasion for our Association, since we have to renew the Executive Council, approve the Bylaws,  and plan ahead for the future. For the next weeks, culminating with FOIS 2012 in Graz, we foresee four main phases: Candidature, Campaigning, Elections, and Physical meeting, as described below.

            The general rules we shall follow in this election period are those encoded in the IAOA Bylaws just released on the IAOA Web site. This is of course a preliminary, bootstrap version which has been just adopted by the EC according to the Statute, and which will be subject itself of your approval. Once this bootstrap version is formally approved by the Assembly, subsequent modifications will be possible following the procedure specified by Article XV of the Bylaws.

            In particular, the Bylaws introduce an Election Committee in charge of supervising the election process. For the present elections, the Election Committee includes John Bateman, Anthony Cohn, Antony Galton, Nicola Guarino, Leo Obrst,  and Valter Cavecchia.

            The calendar for the next days is as follows:

A - Candidature phase (from NOW to July 8)

As you know, all the present 9 members of the Executive Council have come to the end of their term. The Election Committee has decided to keep the present number of people, so 9 persons need to be elected. According to the Bylaws, at least two members (a proposer and at least one seconder, none of whom should be the nominee) are required in order to make a nomination. The members making the nomination shall ensure that they, as well as the nominee, are current members of the Association, and that the nominee shall accept the nomination. Nominees must have been members for more than one year.

PLEASE START NOW MAKING YOUR NOMINATIONS, by means of a message posted to  iaoa-member@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx specifying the proposer, the seconder(s), the nominee, and optionally some motivations and/or a candidate's position statement (which might be circulated afterwards). We have also set up a wiki space to discuss these elections at http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?IAOA_ExecutiveCouncil_Election_2012Please feel free to use it as you prefer.

Nominations can be freely discussed on the members list from the nomination time to the end of the campaign phase (see below).

You can also exploit this time to take a look at the Bylaws.

B - Campaigning phase (from July 9 to July 15)

Once the candidature phase is closed, still there is a week available for active campaigning and discussion on the members list.

C - 2012 IAOA ordinary assembly – 1. eBallot (from July 16 to 18 - with possible extension in case of quorum problems to July 22)

In this period you will be asked to express up to 9 preferences for Executive Council candidates, plus your opinion concerning the Bylaws. Please be so kind as to participate in the vote even if you decide to abstain, so we can count you in the quorum of participants.

The list of candidates and their Position Statements will be made available through the IAOA Web site.

Results will be announced to the mailing list before the start of the physical meeting.

D - 2012 IAOA ordinary assembly – 2. Physical meeting (at FOIS 2012 in Graz)

The physical meeting of the IAOA Assembly will take place on Wednesday, July 25th in Graz at the FOIS conference (no FOIS-registration required to attend the meeting). In this meeting, the status of the IAOA association will be addressed, the newly elected IAOA EC will be introduced, and previous activities and plans for the future will be discussed.

In conclusion, I warmly invite all the IAOA members to starting nominating people for the Executive Council, using the procedure described above.

I cannot overestimate the significance of your vote for the success of this election and for the democratic construction of our Association.

Looking forward to your active participation,

Nicola Guarino
President, IAOA