iaoa-general

[iaoa-general] Ontology Summit 2013: session-15 - Pre-symposium preparat

To: iaoa-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 12:22:11 -0700
Re: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2013_04_25    (01)

Dear Colleagues,    (02)

You are cordially invited to participate at the upcoming Ontology
Summit 2013 Symposium. This is what our 4 month's of work culminates
into. The event will be held at the NIST Gaithersburg (Maryland, USA)
campus on Thu & Fri May 2 & 3, 2013.    (03)

*** As Mike Dean, one of our Symposium Co-chairs reminded us earlier -
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-invitation/2013-04/msg00004.html
- *** Today (Apr-22) is the last day for the registration of on-site
participation *** Therefore, register now, if you are planning to
come, and haven't registered yet! Registration is mandatory, as the
venue is a US Government facility!    (04)

For those who are planning to be at the Ontology Summit 2013
Symposium, whether in person, or participating remotely, please join
us at the "Session-15 - Pre-symposium preparation and review" this
Thursday (Apr-25), when we will go through the preparation and the
logistics about the Symposium, and answer questions anyone may have.
... Those who are preparing materials or presentations to be made at
the symposium are urged to attended, especially.    (05)

*Register for the Apr-25 session* by emailing <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
off-line or register yourself directly to the wiki session page.
Please specify the date or name of the session(s) you are registering
for (your affiliation too, if you are not already a member of the
community.) ... RSVP    (06)

****************** Headlines ***********************    (07)

Please join us this Thursday for the last pre-symposium virtual
session of the Ontology Summit 2013 program:    (08)

*Thu 25 Apr 2013* - OntologySummit2013 session-15 - "Pre-Sympoisum Preparation"
- Co-chairs: Mr. Mike Dean  & Dr. Ram Sriram - see details on the session page
at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2013_04_25    (09)

... and then, of course, make sure you register, and come ...    (010)

* Thu & Fri 2~3 May 2013* - OntologySummit2013 Symposium
- Co-chairs: Dr. Ram Sriram & Mr. Mike Dean - see details on the
OntologySummit2013_Symposium homepage at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2013_Symposium    (011)

****** Session Details ******    (012)

OntologySummit2013: Panel Session-15 - Thu 2013-04-25    (013)

Summit Theme: "Ontology Evaluation Across the Ontology Lifecycle"    (014)

Session Topic: "Pre-symposium preparation and review"    (015)

Symposium & Session Co-chairs::
* Mr. MikeDean (Raytheon BBN) and Dr. RamSriram (NIST)    (016)

Abstract:    (017)

This is our 8th Ontology Summit, a joint initiative by NIST, Ontolog,
NCOR, NCBO, IAOA & NCO_NITRD with the support of our co-sponsors. The
theme adopted for this Ontology Summit is: "Ontology Evaluation Across
the Ontology Lifecycle."    (018)

Currently, there is no agreed methodology for development of
ontologies, and there are no universally agreed metrics for ontology
evaluation. At the same time, everybody agrees that there are a lot of
badly engineered ontologies out there, thus people use -- at least
implicitly -- some criteria for the evaluation of ontologies.    (019)

During this OntologySummit, we seek to identify best practices for
ontology development and evaluation. We will consider the entire
lifecycle of an ontology -- from requirements gathering and analysis,
through to design and implementation. In this endeavor, the Summit
will seek collaboration with the software engineering and knowledge
acquisition communities. Research in these fields has led to several
mature models for the software lifecycle and the design of
knowledge-based systems, and we expect that fruitful interaction among
all participants will lead to a consensus for a methodology within
ontological engineering. Following earlier Ontology Summit practice,
the synthesized results of this season's discourse will be published
as a Communique.    (020)

At the Launch Event on 17 Jan 2013, the organizing team provided an
overview of the program, and how we will be framing the discourse
around the theme of of this OntologySummit. Much has happened since -
by the end of this week, as a community, we would have run 15 virtual
community sessions, built a community library, conducted a software
survey, run seven hackathon and clinics projects, built a public
facing website as well as a semantically-enabled wiki-site for our
content, and are putting the best collective insight into our
Communique.    (021)

In this 15th virtual panel session of the Summit, the last of the
virtual sessions before the OntologySummit2013_Symposium, we will do a
final review on everything, and prepare ourselves for the two-day
face-to-face event at NIST (Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA) on May 2~3
(i.e. Thu & Fri next week) which this Summit will culminate in.    (022)

******************    (023)

These sessions, like all Ontolog virtual events, are open and free of
charge. Anyone who is interested, or (better still) who may have
something to contribute, is welcome. Please refer to event details on
the session pages, to which the hyperlink is given above, where you
will find session agenda, conference call dial-in, slides and other
pertinent information. Feel free to pass this invitation along to
colleagues who may also find these sessions to be of interest.    (024)

*RSVP* by emailing Peter Yim at <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> offline (or add
yourself directly to the session page if you are already an Ontolog or
Ontology Summit community member) so that we can prepare enough
resources to support everyone. [Please state clearly the date of the
session you are registering for in your email.] ... All respondents
will be subscribed (if they aren't already so) to the
[ontology-summit] mailing list so they are participate in the virtual
discourse.    (025)

These sessions will be recorded and made available in a publicly
accessible archive. Therefore, before participating, please make sure
you are cognizant of our IPR policy
- ref:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid32    (026)

Regards.  =ppy    (027)

For and on behalf of the    (028)

OntologySummit2013 session-15 Co-chairs,
Mike Dean & Ram Sriram    (029)

and Members of the
OntologySummit2013 Organizing Committee    (030)

p.s. full proceedings of all previous summit sessions (slides,
chat-transcript, audio recording, etc.) are now available online.
They are accessible from the "Archives" section on their respective
session pages, which you can find listed under "What's New" (near the
top) on the Ontology Summit 2013 homepage -
at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2013
--    (031)