Twenty Fourth meeting of the IAOA Executive Council (EC)
Virtual Meeting of 30 June 2010
The EC is preparing the criteria and procedure to officially support an event (conference, meeting, summer school etc.) The guidelines are being written and will be approved at next meeting. In the meantime, the EC has granted support to four events that made a formal request:
- Workshop on Ontology Quality, Oct. 2010 (IAOA champion: L. Vieu)
- Workshop on Modular Ontologies WoMO, 2011 (IAOA champion: O. Kutz, J. Bateman)
- VORTE-MOST, Oct. 2010 (IAOA champion: F. Freitas, G. Guizzardi)
- International Conference Web and Philosophy. Technology, Semantics, Ontologies: Towards a Philosophy of the Web, Oct. 2010 (IAOA champion: A. Monnin, L. Vieu)
Local events (based on local languages or aiming at local communities) will also be supported. It is expected that an IAOA Outreach Program will be developed to manage these cases.
The EC has discussed some technical issues:
(1) it is possible to close the access to the on-line joining form for a few days when for technical reasons the registration process cannot be handled in a timely manner; (2) if a member, for some reason, has paid over than what is due for his/her membership, we shall allow the possibility to keep the excess money as (possibly partial) advance payment for his/her membership in the next year(s); (3) due to the complexities of subscribing members acquired through FOIS registration, the EC decided that, limited to these cases, the date of the receipt be the date of filling in the joining form (in the standard procedure the receipt is issued on the payment date).
The EC decided to initially proceed with the formation of the following committees (in brackets the EC-Liaison):
1. Publicity, Image and Visibiltiy - (Guarino and Bateman)
2. International Promotion Committee - (Mizoguchi and Guizzardi)
3. Education - (Obrst)
4. Membership - (Vieu)
4.1 Interface with members - (Borgo)
5. ByLaws - (Borgo and Yim)
6. Ontology registry and repository - (Gruninger and Bateman)
7. Infrastructure - (Yim and Bateman)
The EC-Liaisons will contact people who volunteered for these committees during the IAOA Assembly. The EC is expecting other members to step up and volunteer as committee members.
(Plese, put the committee title in the subject line)
(End of Report)