iaoa-general

[iaoa-general] Welcome to IAOA

To: iaoa-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Nicola Guarino <guarino@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:31:14 +0200
Dear subscriber of the IAOA-general mailing list,

thank you very much of your interest in IAOA, the new International Association for Ontology and its Applications. This message is to keep you informed about the status of our startup process. Please refer to the web site www.iaoa.org for any further info.

After just a few months from its establishment, more than 280 people expressed their interest in the association, registering to the IAOA-general mailing list. We are excited of this success, and working hard to achieve a fully operational status.

The temporary Executive Council has been active since the middle of May to take care of the initial steps for the association to become active and running. You can read the public reports of all the meetings at http://www.iaoa.org/iaoa-execcouncil.htm.

Much effort of the EC has been put into the needed administrative processes to provide the association with bank account, web page and on-line payment facilities. We are happy to tell you that everything will be up and running in a few weeks (be patient since it's holidays time!). You will receive soon a new email message with the information on the on-line payment process to officially become a member of IAOA. Please, visit the IAOA web page for registration fees and benefits.

In the meanwhile, a series of initiatives have been taken to advertise the existence of the Association. An audio-recording and chat-transcript of the Ontolog panel session held on June 18 to introduce IAOA is available at

Other advertizing initiatives are being organized in coincidence of major conferences and other public events. Please contact paul.buitelaar@xxxxxxxx if you are willing to help.

The first assembly meeting of the association will take place at the FOIS 2010 conference in Toronto next year on May 11-14 (http://fois2010.mie.utoronto.ca) Please start saving the date for this major event. Note that the IAOA association is now in charge of the FOIS conference series (taking the place of the former FOIS steering committee), and that FOIS 2010 will be co-located with KR-10, AAMAS-10, DL-10, ICAPS-10, and NMR-10.

Finally, a mailbox for general comments and information requests concerning IAOA has been created at iaoa.info@xxxxxxxxx. Feel free to send us your comments and proposals concerning the future of our association, as well as your personal availability for specific tasks (such as advertizing!). Like every voluntary association, we really count on the active participation of each single member, so we are looking forward to your contribution.

Cheers,

Nicola Guarino

President, IAOA

Nicola Guarino
Head, Laboratory for Applied Ontology (LOA), ISTC-CNR
Institute for Cognitive Sciences and Technologies
National Research Council
Via alla Cascata, 56/C
38100 Povo (Trento), Italy
Editor in Chief, Applied Ontology (IOS Press)

President, Int. Association for Ontologies and its Applications (IAOA)

office:        +39 0461 314871                        fax:       +39 0461 314875
secretary: +39 0461 314842-878
mobile:     +39 333 5865383
skype:      nicolguar