iaoa-education

Re: [iaoa-education] Summer school budget issues

To: IAOA Education Committee <iaoa-education@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nicola Guarino <guarino@xxxxxxxxxx>, lobrst <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Werner Kuhn <kuhn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 21:54:58 +0100
Dear Laure,    (01)

thanks a lot for clarifying these points - they are pretty much what I
expected. My main reason to consider registrations through IAOA was
the credit card payment option. But, as you point out, it is not very
attractive anyway.    (02)

The non-profit non-taxed status is, as I found out myself in
considering alternatives for Vespucci, not an option for summer
schools. Vespucci has the complementary form of organization: a
commercial company (as I explained to some before). We run the summer
schools as non-profit, but the tax controllers do not mind if we earn
more than we spend (to spend it on a future summer school, for
example). It is us who want to avoid that, so that we pay not too much
in taxes, but there is no legal problem at all.    (03)

Having said this, we do have costs, of course, that are not showing up
in the summer school budget that we discussed. We pay several thousand
Euro per year on accounting alone (a function of the number of
transactions, among others), plus income tax, plus the VAT difference.    (04)

I propose that, overall, we run the registrations and payments for
2011 through our Vespucci web site, requesting bank transfers with
fees paid by the issuer. On a smaller scale, we can still optimize by
having some registrations of members and some payments go through
IAOA, if we want.    (05)

Of course, I will make the complete transactions transparent to Laure
and anybody else who cares. Also, we would not need cash advances or
anything, as the big amount up front (the site) is paid by JRC and we
have some reserves for the rest.    (06)

For the case that the summer school generates money that we do not
spend in 2011, we need to agree on sharing. My proposal would be to
deduct the incurred costs of our company for running the school and
then split the rest 50:50. Where that possible income for IAOA is
"banked" can then still be discussed so that your non-profit status is
not endangered.    (07)

Does this help, Laure?    (08)

best,
Werner    (09)

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Laure Vieu <vieu@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I realize now that this message should have been better posted through
> the mailing list.
> so, here it is
>
> Best,
> Laure