health-ont

[health-ont] Fwd: 1st draft of an RFP requesting API for Knowledge Bases

To: health-ont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: steve@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ed Dodds <dodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:06:05 -0600
FYI:    (01)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rubin, Ken <ken.rubin@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:26 AM
Subject: RE: 1st draft of an RFP requesting API for Knowledge Bases
To: "edbark@xxxxxxxx" <edbark@xxxxxxxx>, "hugues.vincent"
<hugues.vincent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "ontology@xxxxxxx" <ontology@xxxxxxx>, Alan Honey
<aphoneysys@xxxxxxxxx>, "jobst.landgrebe@xxxxxxxxx"
<jobst.landgrebe@xxxxxxxxx>, "healthcare@xxxxxxx"
<healthcare@xxxxxxx>, "Solbrig, Harold R." <Solbrig.Harold@xxxxxxxx>    (02)

Broadening the pool a bit to include the healthcare list.    (03)

Ed:  I'll start with the end so we don't argue the semantics in the
middle.  I agree with your assertions around alinging the work in
advance and avoiding silo-building.  Frankly, the remainder are
probably smaller nuance items.    (04)

The one point that I think merits a mention is your assertion around
the role of an information model.  In a "classic IT sense" the Info
model drives toward design of persistence, but at least within the
Health domain that core use has morphed over the past several years.
I see an information model as a shared represntation of concept
understanding.  If anything, the "lines" between an information model
and underlying concept/terminology models is ever blurring, driven
more by the ability to achieve a cross-party consensus on consistency
(represented in the "info model") versus diversity (in the
terminology).    (05)

Your penultimate assertion, however, is spot on.  If we come through
this opportunistic time without the ability for these different
standards to align if not directly complement each other we've missed
the boat.    (06)

- Ken    (07)