health-ont

RE: [health-ont] Healthcare Informatics Panel Discussion Transcript

To: "[health-ont] " <health-ont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Adam Pease <apease@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:20:14 -0700
Folks,
   I'd like to reinforce Pat's comments on upper ontology, which I
think also echoes some of Mark's comments earlier in the dialogue
that much of the work to date on ontology hasn't been on ontology
content.  Most of the content standards mentioned in the dialogue are
either very minimal and high level, or are purpose built from
scratch, rather than reusing an upper model.  In our work on the UBL
ontology, I think we've shown how an upper model (specifically SUMO)
can provide a deep semantic underpinning for new domain ontology
content, and eliminate the need to create many general concepts, such
as temporal ontology, from scratch.  I would hope that a similar
approach would be central to what ontolog recommends for healthcare.    (01)

Adam    (02)

At 11:12 AM 9/9/2005, Cassidy,Patrick J. wrote:
>Rex,
>   Great job on the transcript.
>   I edited the part where I talked about the upper ontology, to make it
>more coherent, and to give the proper journal reference.  It makes for
>easier reading in the edited version.  You may want to note in the
>transcript that it was edited, which is fine by me.
>    I didn't turn on tracking changes, but if you need that, I ca redo
>it easily.
>

>    Pat
>

>Patrick Cassidy
>MITRE Corporation