energy-water-nexus

[energy-water-nexus] Energy Water Nexus vis-a-vis the Environment Projec

To: energy-water-nexus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: William Foster <wfoster8560@xxxxxxxxx>, energywaternexus@xxxxxxxxx
From: "Disbrow, Jim" <Jim.Disbrow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 11:52:13 -0500
Case Study for Ontology Summit 2010
Building an Ontology
Energy-Water Nexus vis-a-vis the Environment
Status Report  - 3/5/2010    (01)

We've discovered some potentially amazing tools for putting this
ontology together - but the devil's in the details.     (02)

There's a team of people working on seeing if this one specific tool
will do what we hope it will do - and the documentation implies can be
done - and the creators say can be done. The tool creates metadata from
both structured and unstructured data, and is almost as good of an
example of true Open Source software as you could imagine. I'm hoping
that this tool will lead to the rdf that represents n-tuple operators
appropriately.    (03)

The posted Physical Fuel Cycle pdf was generated from an Adobe Photoshop
psd; I plan to re-export the psd layers as css/html, then feed the html
into the above-mentioned tool, then add selected structured and
unstructured subject-matter documents to extend and inter-relate the
various branches, nodes, cells, layers, etc.     (04)

If I can convert this psd into a pdf into an rdf, and then use the
above-mentioned tool, we might have an easier way of running the
software and building the ontology. The Photoshop layers can presumably
be preserved in the pdf - and then put into rdf (using some kind of
template). A free pdf to rdf converter (which I just discovered this
morning) seems to exist and I'll try to get it installed and test it.
Hopefully, the vector nature of pipeline processes' representations will
be preserved in the rdf n-tuples.    (05)

There is documentation that suggests a path from psd to topic maps
exists within off-the-shelf Adobe products. The software to explore the
details of this option got installed two days ago, and I'm on a learning
curve to see what we can come up with. Oh, did I mention the devil's in
the details? :-)    (06)

In terms of the content, I think we are now pretty well covered for both
"energy" (the formal information model graphic) and "the environment" (a
pdf of a paper is posted on the Docs site). This is a change/extension
of the topic/subject matter from "the climate". But the "water"
component is still sort-of hanging and hasn't totally jelled yet.
Currently, it is conceived as a set of sub-layers behind the formal
information model (i.e., the Physical Fuel Cycle graphic), and has its
own node on the face of the graphic as well - which should be sufficient
for now. Organizing the sublayers by Economic Sector (as is done in the
paper posted in Google Docs), by water process and use (e.g.,
desalinized for human consumption, recycled for industrial use, waste
water processed for agricultural usage, etc.) and by sub-watershed
remains tbd.    (07)

What can you do to help? Please collect and post your candidate
structured, unstructured / natural language documents on energy, water
and environment in both places - Google Docs and cim3. Links to good
glossaries and taxonomies will make the resulting ontology more robust
and granular. Also, continue to collect your sets of SME questions in a
spreadsheet (Col 1 = question, Col 4 = answer, if any). We will need
these questions when testing the ontology.    (08)

Thanks again for all your support - and please continue to reach out to
involve interested parties,
Jim    (09)