energy-water-nexus
[Top] [All Lists]

[energy-water-nexus] PDS to Topic Map Conversion?

To: energy-water-nexus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:48:04 -0500
Message-id: <29CCD92BCE9A9E4B8D41FDEB602EF8760234F328@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

In digging around for a tool to convert the .pds into a Topic Map, I discovered Adobe’s RoboHelp advertises it can export a TopicMap. Does anyone have experience with this tool and/or file structure? Does anyone have an Adobe CS4 /license available for taking advantage of RoboHelp’s free trial period (which I’m hoping we can try)?

Re: Relatioships in Ontologies

I’d be happy if we could just get the first relational operator working, and it would be the word “change”, as broadly specified in the Federal Enterprise Architecture’s Glossary, in the sense of a pipeline model, as in X “changes to “ Y and  Y “changes from” X.

Thanks and have a good day,

Jim Disbrow

Program Manager, ET.gov

Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 1:31 PM
To: Jack Park
Cc: ravi sharma; Disbrow, Jim; peter.yim@xxxxxxxx; Owen Ambur; John Young; Wood, Elaine (NREL)
Subject: Re: Energy Water Nexus vis-a-vis the Climate Case Study for the Ontology Summit 2010

You make a good case, Jack.

In addition to the ontologist's technical domain there exist billions of dollars in policy and program work that could possibly benefit from a cleaner and useable map of how energy, water, climate options relate to each other in practice.

For example, a large battle is taking place over the best ways of obtaining enough water for California's residents, businesses, fisheries, and agriculture.

This is an urgent problem that will not go away soon.

So working along the lines you suggest, with a vision of the scale of the problem, is useful.

Cheers,

Bob

PS - Attached is a presentation from Marco Gonzoles that I presented at a Board meeting last night. It simply shows the battle over a Water Desalination proposal. 

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Jack Park <jackpark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Bob,
In answer to previous questions here, I know of no tool (doesn't mean there isn't one) that would read Jim's diagram and transliterate it into a topic map (or any other structure). I can only imagine wetware doing the work, perhaps crowd-sourced ala wikipedia. That is, each node in his diagram is a topic, an individual page in the wiki; each node plays roles in relationships with other nodes. Those relationships should be topics as well (not traditional labeled arcs or even HREFs). That way, they can be targets of debates, embellished with tags, annotations, scopes, etc.

I am not talking in terms of "garden variety" XML topic maps; I am talking about those which are created according to the dictates of the Topic Maps Reference Model (TMRM) which makes no ontological commitments to "Topic" "Association" (which is not a topic) and "Occurrence".  There are really only two objects in the universe of the TMRM, make that three: A proxy for each subject (SubjectProxy) roughly the equivalent to each of the TAO, and property (key/value) objects (SubjectProperty) with which to define and represent each subject. A proxy is a container of properties. The third object is a "legend" which publically defines the property types used to identify the subjects, and the merging rules (the way those properties are interpreted in your map for purposes of merging proxies--remember, the prime discipline in topic mapping is adhering to the dictates of a good map: one and only one location for any given subject).

Nothing in what I am saying here takes anything away from either XML topic maps or from ontologies of any kind. They each suit their purposes well. My views are based more on realities I sense (interpret) when observing the sensemaking practices of really intelligent people trying to figure out how to merge ontologies, how to model universes of discourse, etc. I am suggesting that people collaboratively map their territory with less rigor in the specifics of representation schemes; let those fall out later. Just answer these questions: what are the subjects? and what are the attributes (properties, roles, etc) of those subjects?

Energy and Climate, two enormous fields of discourse, will take a while.

Jack

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Bob Smith <bobsmithttl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jack,

That sounds like a very good suggestion: start with a general topic map of "the territory" as an exploration platform - when ready enough.

Some questions then emerge from your suggestion - one of which is the map between Jim's PDF file of the Cycles and "the territory" of interest (Scope).

Suggestions?

Cheers,

Bob

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Jack Park <jackpark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Let me just offer a short comment before I blow out of here for a meeting. I mention topic maps because I eat and breathe topic maps. That, in my view, is not different from ontologies; we can do ontologies in topic maps, but we can do a few more things than a concise ontology anticipates.

That's not particularly important to ontology engineers who are tasked to control laser surgical instruments, but to those who are assigned tasks of understanding complex systems like biological, ecological, climate, etc, topic maps add something.  Let me explain.

I can import the entire cancer.owl (26k classes) document into a topic map platform: it comes in as an owl file and remains an owl ontology. I then "harvest" that ontology to create topic maps "subjects" and their relationships, nomenclature, etc.  In that sense, I am wrapping the owl entity with a topic map, not replacing it. I can still run the inference engines on the owl document, but also, over in the collaboration platform, I can embellish the cancer subjects with tags, annotations, links to web pages, structured dialogues about this or that, etc. Later, if things suggest improvements or changes to the owl document, they can be mapped back. I can do the same thing with database artifacts. (No, I cannot walk on water ;-)

That is why I suggested starting with a general topic map of the territory as an exploration platform.

The open source platform I am developing to do this is based on Semantic MediaWiki coupled to an IBIS (structured) conversation extension and my topic map (RDF) platform. It's not ready for prime time now, but will be within the next very few months.

It's just a suggestion. Nothing more than that.

Cheers
Jack

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 8:02 AM, ravi sharma <drravisharma@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jim

Have you tried AllegroGraph and Gruff? They are free up to a million triples? (I think - please check, not 100% sure)

I will also send you a test email to energywaterrenxus@xxxxxxxxx

I have yet to study the topic map or the graphic for E-W cycle.

Thanks.

Ravi

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Disbrow, Jim <Jim.Disbrow@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Good morning, Jack / Peter / Bob / Owen /Ravi / John

The structure of our ontology will probably wind up being constrained by technology, so picking the technology (e.g, the ontology building tool) will define the structure (a less than optimal position, but we are constrained in many directions). Let’s try to make the wisest choice!

Do you have a preferred tool for creating our ontology? Do you know if (and how) this preferred tool handles “associations” (a Topic Map term) or relationships (an OWL/RDF term) robustly? Can the tool start with a vector-oriented .pds file, such as the .pds behind the Physical Fuel Cycle .pdf (posted in Google Docs “EnergyWaterNexus@xxxxxxxxx”)? I’d like to start with this graphic and rebuild it into a usable ontology with explicit relationships between the various topics – and am prepared to do it myself, manually, if necessary.

Or do you know of (or have) a free topic map builder that can be used to create our ontology? Or a tool that would take an output from one of the free ontology builders (e.g., TopBraid, Protégé) and work for us? Do you know if (and how) these tools handle “associations” (a Topic Map term) or relationships (an OWL/RDF term) robustly? If we can follow Jack’s suggestion (below), it would be beneficial to the Case Study’s outcome (my opinion).

On a related subject: DOE Island in Second Life has opened its doors (in Beta), and Energy Ant is a virtual bot there, using an AI that is driven by an AIML file. Per existing agreements, I will have a large degree of input and control in the process for building out the AIML file. I was thinking to use this in collecting the questions that people (SL visitors) would like answered – and make the ontology responsive to these question. If we could use these questions to create an ontology directly, it would be great, but I don’t know if this is doable – what do you think? Do you know of a tool that would create an AIML file by transliterating from the .pds behind the Physical Fuel Cycle graphic posted in Google Docs?

On another related subject: We are currently getting the open-source code used by the US Air Force for testing ontologies for robustness, so stay tuned for progress on this. We could use the Ontology we build as the basis for testing whether we can answer the questions that are posed to Energy Ant correctly – or not. The creators of this tool have generously offered to help (with constraints based on their current overloaded work schedule), and have used the free TopBraid tool in their projects.

Who else should we be directing these questions toward?

Thanks and have a good day,

Jim

The problems associated with EnergyWaterNexus@xxxxxxxxx seem to have been fixed, and it should be working for all of us now.

Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:58 PM
To: Disbrow, Jim
Subject: Re: Energy Water Analysis 2010

Jim,
These seem to be coming through fine. Replying to this email directly doesn't work.
The pdf diagram seems ripe for transliteration into a topic map as a first step towards an ontology. By putting it into a topic map, we can play with it in a variety of ways before distilling it into any official ontology.

Jack

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 9:44 AM, <energywaternexus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Error! Filename not specified.

I've shared Energy Water Analysis 2010

Message from energywaternexus@xxxxxxxxx:

I have been trying to make sure you have access to the various files in the Google Docs "energywaternexus@xxxxxxxxx" collaborative sites.

Please check and see if the way it is set up works for you. If it doesn't, please let me know - it's another learning curve that is being mastered on the fly.

thanks and have a good day,
Jim

Click to open:

·         Energy Water Analysis 2010

Google Docs makes it easy to create, store and share online documents, spreadsheets and presentations.

Error! Filename not specified.

--
Thanks.
Ravi
(Dr. Ravi Sharma)
313 204 1740 Mobile

Community Shared Files: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/energy-water-nexus/ 
Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?EnergyWaterNexus     (01)
<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • [energy-water-nexus] PDS to Topic Map Conversion?, Disbrow, Jim <=